Several aspects of language development discussed in Reading Passage 3 are listed below.
Match each aspect with the appropriate model from the box below, according to the information in the Reading Passage. Write the appropriate letter (A,B,C,or D) in boxes 33-36 on your answer sheet.
Aspects of language development
Example Population of territory A
33. "wave" model
34. Romance languages
36. European languages
A Colonization C Convergence
B Divergence D Replacement
Answer the following questions using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS, according to the information in the Reading Passage. Write your answers in boxes 37-39 on your answer sheet.
37. What are three ways in which the languages of Europe are related?
38. On what basis does the author decide that Chinese and Japanese are not related to European languages?
39. According to the tree model, what was the original proto-language for English?
7. circadian rhythms.
8. (an) early lunch
9. opportunities // challenges // challenges and opportunities
10. (likely) immediate future // immediate past
11. himself // herself
12. others // other people // outside causes // faults of others
13. (its) appropriate cause(s)
Reading Passage 2 The Muang Faai Irrigation System ……
20. two correct out of : vegetables, herbal medicines, herbs, wood
21. two correct out of : rice, beans, corn, (native) vegetables
22. two correct out of : pigs, ducks, chickens
23. (wet) rice / (fish)
24. E, A, D [any order]
25. Two correct out of : F, A, C [any order]
Reading Passage 3 The Origins of Indo-European Languages
37. vocabulary, grammar, phonology [all three must be correct]
38. comparison of words/vocabulary/numbers/features // compare (the) words