13. As families move away from their stable community, their friends of many years, their extended family relationships, the informal flow of information is cut off, and with it the confidence that information will be available when needed and will be trustworthy and reliable.
14. The individual now has more information available than any generation, and the task of finding that one piece of information relevant to his or her specific problem is complicated, time——consuming, and sometimes even overwhelming.
[参考译文] 现在每个人能够得到的信息比任何时代的人都多，而找到与他／她的特定问题相关的那一点信息的任务不仅复杂、耗时，有时甚至令人难以招 。
15. Expertise can be shared world wide through teleconferencing, and problems in dispute can be settled without the participants leaving their homes and/or jobs to travel to a distant conference site.
16. The current passion for making children compete against their classmates or against the clock produces a two-layer system, in which competitive A-types seem in some way better than their B type fellows.
17. While talking to you, your could-be employer is deciding whether your education, your experience, and other qualifications will pay him to employ you and your "wares" and abilities must be displayed in an orderly and reasonably connected manner.
[参考译文] 在跟你谈话的时候，可能成为你的雇主的人就一直在衡量你的教育、经 验和其他资格是不是值得他雇用你，而你的"商品"和能力一定要以一 种有条不紊而且合情合理的相互关联的方式被展示出来。
18. The Corporation will survive as a publicly funded broadcasting organization, at least for the time being, but its role, its size and its programs are now the subject of a nation wide debate in Britain.
[参考译文] 英国广播公司将作为一个公共基金支持的广播组织存在下来，至少目前 会这样，但是它的角色、它的规模和它的节目现在在英国成了全国上下 的讨论话题。
19. The debate was launched by the Government, which invited anyone with an opinion of the BBC——including ordinary listeners and viewer to say what was good or bad about the Corporation, and even whether they thought it was worth keeping.
[参考译文] 这场辩论是由政府发动的，政府请任何一个对英国广播公司有意见的人 一包括普通的听众和观众一来说说这个公司好在哪里或坏在哪里，甚至 要说说他们是否认为这个公司值得被保留下来。
20. The change met the technical requirements of the new age by engaging a large profess signal element and prevented the decline in efficiency that so commonly spoiled the fortunes of family firms in the second and third generation after the energetic founders.
[参考译文] 这种变化通过引入许多的专业因素从而适应了这个新时代的技术要求， 并且它(这种变化)防止了效率的降低。这种效率的降低在精力充沛的 创业者之后的第二代和第三代人(领导公司)的时候，经常会毁掉那些 家族公司的财富。
21. Such large, impersonal manipulation of capital and industry greatly increased the numbers and importance of shareholders as a class, an element in national life representing irresponsible wealth detached from the land and the duties of the landowners: and almost equally detached from the responsible management of business.
[参考译文] 这样巨大而非个人的对资金和产业的操纵极大地增加了股东的数量和他 们作为一个阶级的重要性，这是国家生活中代表不负责任的财富的一个 因素，这种财富不但远离了土地和土地拥有者的责任，而且几乎同样与 公司的负责任的管理毫无关系。
22. Towns like Bournemouth and Eastbourne sprang up to house large "comfortable" classes who had retired on their incomes, and who had no relation to the rest of the community except that of drawing dividends and occasionally attending a shareholders' meeting to dictate their orders to the management.
[参考译文] 像伯恩茅斯和伊斯特本这样的城镇的涌现是为了给那些数量很多的"舒 适"阶级提供居住场所。这些人依赖于其丰厚收入而不工作，他们除了 分红和偶尔参加一下股东大会，向管理层口授一下自己的命令之外，跟 社会的其他阶层毫无瓜葛。
23. The "shareholders" as such had no knowledge of the lives, thoughts or needs of the workmen employed by the company in which he held shares, and his influence on the relations of capital and labor was not good.
[参考译文] 这样的"股东"对他拥有股份的公司所雇用的工人们的生活、思想和需 求一无所知，而且他们对劳资双方的关系都不会产生积极的影响。
24. The paid manager acting for the company was in more direct relation with the men and their demands, but even he had seldom that familiar personal knowledge of the workmen which the employer had often had under the more patriarchal system of the old family business now passing away.
[参考译文] 代表公司的花钱雇来的经理与工人及其需求的关系更加直接，但是就连 他对工人们也没有那种熟识的私人之间的了解。而在现在正在消失的古 老家族公司的那种更加家长式的制度下的雇主们却常常对他们的工人有 这样的私人关系。