61.But,for a small group of students, professional training might be the way to go since well-developed skills, all other factors being equal, can be the difference between having a job and not.
[参考译文] 但是，对一个小部分学生来说，职业教育也是条可取的路径。因为在 其他因素相同的情况下，技能的娴熟是得到工作与否的关键。
62. Declaring that he was opposed to using this unusual animal husbandry technique to clone humans, he ordered that federal funds not be used for such an experiment-although no one had proposed to do so——and asked an independent panel of experts chaired by Princeton President Harold Shapiro to report back to the White House in 90 days with recommendations for a national policy on human cloning.
[参考译文] 他宣布自己反对使用这种非同寻常的畜牧繁殖技术来克隆人类，并下令 ． 不准联邦政府基金用于做此类试验——尽管还没有人建议这么做——他 还请一个以普林斯顿大学校长哈罗得·夏皮罗为首的独立的专家组在90 天内向白宫汇报关于制定有关克隆人的国家政策的建议。
63. In a draft preface to the recommendations, discussed at the 17 May meeting, Shapiro suggested that the panel had found a broad consensus that it would be "morally unacceptable to attempt to create a human child by adult nuclear cloning". 参考译文] 在5月17日的会议上所讨论的这份建议书的序言草案中，夏皮罗提出， 专家组已经达成广泛共识，那就是"试图通过成人细胞核克隆来制造人类幼儿的 做法在道德上是不可接受的"。
64. Because current federal law already forbids the use of federal funds to create embryos (the earliest stage of human offspring before birth) for research or to knowingly endanger an embryo's life, NBAC will remain silent on embryo research.
[参考译文] 因为现今的联邦法律已经禁止使用联邦基金克隆胚胎(人类后裔在出生 前的最早阶段)用于研究或者有意地威胁胚胎的生命，NBAC在胚胎研究上将保持沉默。
65. If experiments are planned and carried out according to plan as faithfully as the reports in the science journals indicate, then it is perfectly logical for management to expect research to produce results measurable in dollars and cents.
66. It is entirely reasonable for auditors to believe that scientists who know exactly where they are going and how they will get there should not be distracted by the necessity of keeping one eye on the cash register while the other eye is on the microscope.
67. Nor, if regularity and conformity to a standard pattern are as desirable to the scientist as the writing of his papers would appear to reflect, is management to be blamed for discriminating against the "odd balls" among researchers in favor of more conventional thinkers who "work well with the team."
[参考译文] 如果科学家对标准式样的整齐划一的要求就像他论文的写作所反映的一 样，那么管理层就不该因歧视研究者中的"思维与众不同的人"，喜欢其 中较为传统的"善于团队合作"的思想者而受到指责了。
68. The grand mediocrity of today——everyone being the same in survival and number of off- spring——means that natural selection has lost 80% of its power in upper-middle-class India compared to the tribe.
[参考译文] 当今人与人在很大程度上的平等——即面对自然淘汰法则人人机会均等，并且连子嗣的数目都一样——意味着和在印度土著部落中的情况相比， 印度中上层阶级中已丧失了80％的自然选择中的优势。
69. When a new movement in art attains a certain fashion, it is advisable to find out what its advocates are aiming at, for, however farfetched and unreasonable their principles may seem today, it is possible that in years to come they may be regarded as normal.
70. With regard to Futurist poetry, however, the case is rather difficult, for whatever Futurist poetry may be even admitting that the theory on which it is based may be right——it can hardly be classed as Literature.
71. But it is a little upsetting to read in the explanatory notes that a certain line describes a fight between a Turkish and a Bulgarian officer on a bridge off which they both fall into the river——and then to find that the line consists of the noise of their falling and the weights of the officers, "Pluff! Pluff!" A hundred and eighty-five kilograms."
[参考译文] 但当我们先是从注释中得知某诗行讲述了一个土耳其军官和一个保 加利亚军官在桥上动手打架并双双掉进河里，而后却发现该行诗中不过只充斥着"扑通，扑通，185公斤重"这类对他们落水时的动静以及对军官们体重的描写时，我们不免感到困惑不安。
72. The coming of age of the postwar baby boom and an entry of women into the male- dominated job market have limited the opportunities of teen-agers who are already questioning the heavy personal sacrifices involved in climbing Japan's rigid social ladder to good schools and jobs.
[参考译文] 战后婴儿潮一代的步入成年以及女性打入男性主导的劳动力市场使得青少年的发展机会变得极为有限，他们已经在不停地质疑为了爬上日本国内那通往优秀学校和体面工作的严酷的社会阶梯而做出的巨大的个人 牺牲。