73. Last year Mitsuo Setoyama, who was then education minister, raised eyebrows when he argued that liberal reforms introduced by the American occupation authorities after World War II had weakened the "Japanese morality of respect for parents".
74. With economic growth has come centralization: fully 76 percent of Japan's 119 million citizens live in cities where community and the extended family have been abandoned in favor of isolated, tow-generation households.
75. If the tradition of ambition is to have vitality, it must be widely shared; and it especially must be highly regarded by people who are themselves admired, the educated not least among them.
76. Certainly people do not seem less interested in success and its signs now than formerly. Summer homes, European travel, BMWs——the locations, place names and name brands may change, but such items do not seem less in demand today than a decade or two years ago.
[参考译文] 当然，人们现在对成功及其各种标志的兴趣似乎并不亚于先前。消夏 别墅、欧陆旅行、宝马车——地点、地名以及品牌或许会有变化，但这类事物在今天被人渴求的程度也似乎不会亚于一二十年前。
77. Instead, we are treated to fine hypocritical spectacles, which now more than ever seem in ample supply: the critic of American materialism with a Southampton summer home; the publisher of radical books who takes his meals in three-star restaurants; the journalist advocating participatory democracy in all phases of life, whose own children are enrolled in private schools.
78. No clear-cut distinction can be drawn between professional and amateurs in science: exceptions can be found to any rule. Nevertheless, the word "amateur" does carry a connotation that person concerned is not fully integrated into the scientific community and, in particular, may not share its values.
79. The trend was naturally most obvious in those areas of science based especially on a mathematical or laboratory training, and can be illustrated in terms of the development of geology in the United kingdom.
80. A comparison of British geological publications over the last century and a half reveals not simply an increasing emphasis on the primacy of research, but also a changing definition of what constitutes an acceptable research paper.
81. The overall result has been to make entrance to professional geological journals harder for amateurs, a result that has been reinforced by the widespread introduction of refereeing, first by national journals in the 19th century and then by several local geological journals in the 20th century.
82. A rather similar process of differentiation has led to professional geologists coming together nationally within one or two specific societies, whereas the amateurs have tended either to remain in local societies or to come together nationally in a different way.
83. Sad to say, this project has turned out to be mostly low——level findings about factual errors and spelling and grammar mistakes, combined with lots of head——scratching puzzlement about what in the world those readers really want.
84. I believe that the most important forces behind the massive M&M wave are the same that underlie the globalization process: falling transportation and communication costs, lower trade and investment barriers and enlarged markets that require enlarged operations capable of meeting customers' demands.
85. A lateral move that hurt my pride and blocked my professional progress promoted me to abandon my relatively high profile career although, in the manner of a disgraced government minister, I covered my exit by claiming "I wanted to spend more time with my family."
[参考译文] 一次侧面的不光明磊落的攻击伤害了我的自尊，阻碍了我事业的发展，使我不得不抛弃了那份引人注目的工作，尽管表面上我还要以一个蒙受屈辱的政府部长的姿态，通过声称"我只不过是想多和家人呆在一起" 来掩盖我的退出。