Section Ⅰ Use of English
Read the following text. Choose the best word(s) for each numbered blank and mark A,B,C or D on ANSWER SHEET 1(10 points)
America's Federal Reserve cut interest rates by another quarter- point, to 3.75%. Wall Street, which had been 1 for a sixth half- point cut, was disappointed. The Dow fell by 2% 2 the week. The past week's economic statistics gave mixed signals. Exports dropped by 2% in both March and April, largely 3 a decline in high- tech investment 4 ; the merchandise-trade 5 widened to $458 billion in the 12 months 6 April. 7 , the Conference Board's index of consumer confidence was higher than 8 in June.
Concerns 9 inflation in the euro area 10 . Preliminary data 11 that German consumer-price inflation fell to 3.1% in the year to June, from 3.5% in May; wage growth 12 to 1.4% in April, a real pay cut of 1.5%. Some economists fear that Germany is on the 13 of recession. The IFO index of business confidence dropped more 14 than expected in May, and the institute has cut its forecast of GDP 15 this year to only 1.2%, well 16 the German government's forecast of 2%.
The euro area's current-account deficit narrowed to $30 billion in the 12 months to April. Britain's deficit in the first quarter was its smallest 17 1998, 18 record investment income.
There was more bad news from Japan, 19 retail sales in large stores fell by 3.2% in May, the 37th consecutive monthly fall. The yen fell 20 the dollar, touching almost Yen 125 on one point.
1. A expecting B. hoping C. wishing D. dreaming
2. A. in B. above C. during D. over
3. A. because of B. as a consequence of C. because D. thanks to
4. A. at home B. home C. at abroad D. abroad
5.A. deficit B. shortage C. scarcity D. shortfall
6. A. to B. until C. up D. onto
7. A. Although B. Therefore C. However D. Hence
8. A. projected B. planned C. predicted D. expected
9. A. over B. for C. about D. above
10. A. stopped B. eased C. relieved D. improved
11. A. showed B. demonstrated C. illustrated D. explained
12. A. reduced B. cut C. slow D. lessoned
13. A. edge B. rim C. lip D. brink
14. A stridently B. sharply C. harshly D. severely
15. A. growth B. rise C. increase D. escalation
16.A above B. below C. high D. low
17. A. after B since C. until D. towards
18. A, owe to B. because of C. on account of D. thanks to
19. A. where B. which C. what D. who
20. A. in opposition to B. opposed to C. against D. versusv