Section Ⅰ Use of English
Read the following text. Choose the best word (s) for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10 points)
Responsibilities. We all have them; most of us have more than we'd like. That doesn't change the reality that, sooner or later, we all have to 1____ up to them. But perhaps it does explain our __2___ to add to the ever-growing list. There's already so much to do in a day, why tack on an 3_____ burden?
Unfortunately, it's this kind of defeatist mentality 4 __keeps people from enhancing their lives through proper 5 and exercise. Here is the salient point, though: The health and fitness benefits you'll derive from 6_____ the necessary work are worth whatever sacrifices you must make 7______ the way.
I can't count how many times I've heard the same 8 . Each time, I always give the same response: Yes, I say, working out is work. So is taking the 9 to eat right. 10 yourself on the couch or having drinks with friends after work is a lot easier than exercising, and hitting the McDonald's drive thru takes a lot less time than cooking a 11 at home. But channel surfing, margaritas and a Quarter Pounder. With Cheese aren't going to produce some of the things worth having—a low cholesterol level or the 12____ to go shirtless on the beach. Those benefits demand a ___13____ effort.
I'm not saying you should eschew the ___14__ night on the town or gourmet meal at a five-star restaurant. Both have their ___15____ and are components of a well-rounded life. I've enjoyed my ___16____ of revelry and fine ___17___ and look forward to those special opportunities to experience more of the good life. But I've managed to find a balance between those ___18 pleasures and a permanent ___19____ to a regular workout and a healthy diet. Because, __20____, it is the latter that will have a lasting improvement on the overall quality of my life.
1. [A] come [B] catch [C] confront [D] face
2. [A] resistance [B] reluctance [C] persistence [D] existence
3. [A] exact [B] external [C] extra [D] extensive
4. [A] that [B] which [C] what [D] who
5. [A] food [B] nutrition [C] diet [D] recreation
6. [A] setting in [B] putting in [C] getting in [D] cutting in
7. [A] along [B] by [C] on [D] in
8. [A] reasons [B] questions [C] doubts [D] excuses
9. [A] chance [B] effort [C] time [D] interest
10. [A] Throwing [B] Planting [C] Sitting [D] Placing
11. [A] dish [B] dinner [C] meal [D] hamburger
12. [A] pride [B] confidence [C] enthusiasm [D] inspiration
13. [A] long time [B] long range [C] long term [D] long distance
14. [A] additional [B] emotional [C] occasional [D] sensational
15. [A] place [B] position [C] location [D] attraction
16. [A] share [B] part [C] portion [D] section
17. [A] meal [B] diet [C] dining [D] eating
18. [A] short dated [B] short lived [C] short legged [D] short tempered
19. [A] coherence [B] experience [C] adherence [D]remembrance
20. [A] in a word [B] in the end [C] in the future [D] in a nutshell