Section I: Listening Comprehension
This section is designed to test your ability to understand spoken English. You will hear a selection of recorded materials and you must answer the questions that accompany them. There are three parts in this section, Part A, Part B and Part C. Remember, while you are doing the test, you should first answer the questions in your test booklet, not on the ANSWER SHEET. At the end of the listening comprehension section, you will have 5 minutes to transfer your answers from your test booklet onto ANSWER SHEET 1.If you have any questions, you may raise your hand NOW as you will not be allowed to speak once the test has started.
You will hear a conversation between a student, Mr. Wang, and his tutor, Dr. Wilson. As you listen, answer Questions 1 to 10 by circling True or False. You will hear the conversation ONLY ONCE. You now have 60 seconds to read Questions 1-10.
1. Dr. Wilson and Mr. Wang have met before. TRUE / FALSE
2. Wang prefers to live with an English family. TRUE / FALSE
3. Wang intends to study how computer is used for language translation. TRUE / FALSE
4. Back in his own country Mr. Wang studied C-language and chemistry. TRUE / FALSE
5. Wang has some experience in CAD. TRUE / FALSE
6. Dr. Wilson is satisfied with Wang's past experience. TRUE / FALSE
7. Wang has little knowledge of the phonetic processing system. TRUE / FALSE
8. Wang decides to take courses and pass exams. TRUE / FALSE
9. Dr. Wilson suggests that Wang should extend his stay at the university. TRUE / FALSE
10. Dr. Wilson asks Wang to do a little more research before deciding on his project. TRUE / FALSE
You now have 20 seconds to check your answers to Questions 1——10.
That is the end of Part A
You will hear 3 conversations or talks and you must answer the questions by choosing A, B, C or D. You will hear the recording ONLY ONCE. Questions 1 - 3 are based on the following talk. You now have 15 seconds to read Questions 1 - 3.
1. What does the speaker suggest that the students should do during the term?
[A] Consult with her frequently. [B] Use the computer regularly.
[C] Occupy the computer early. [D] Wait for one's turn patiently.
2. What service must be paid for?
[A] Computer classes. [B] Training sessions.
[C] Laser printing.[D] Package borrowing.
3. What is the talk mainly about?
[A] Computer lab services.[B] College library facilities.
[C] The use of micro-computers.[D] Printouts from the laser printer.
You now have 30 seconds to check your answers to Questions 1 - 3.
You will hear a talk given by a university lecturer. As you listen, you must answer Questions 1 -10 by writing NO MORE THAN THREE words in the space provided on the right. You will hear the talk TWICE. You now have 60 seconds to read Questions 1 to 10.
1. What's the average annual increase of foreign student population in the period between 1985 and 1990 in terms of percentage?
2. Which part of the world contributed to an increase between 94/95 and 95/96?
3. When will the speaker talk about the economic and political changes?
4. What will the speaker discuss first?
5. Where do the three largest groups of students come from?
6. What's the number of students from Malaysia?
7. Which is the most popular field of study?
8. What's the percentage of students in business and management?
9. In terms of academic levels, in which level do we find the smallest number?
10. In summary, what did the speaker talk about?
Now you are going to hear the talk a second time.
REPEAT THE TEXT
You now have 3 minutes to check your answers to Questions 1——10.
That is the end of Part C. You now have 5 minutes to transfer all your answers from your test booklet to ANSWER SHEET 1.
That is the end of Listening Comprehension.