Part III Vocabulary (20 minutes)
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
31. The machine looked like a large, ，old-fashioned typewriter.
32. Though she began her by singing in a local pop group, she is now a famous Hollywood movie star.
33. Within two weeks of arrival, all foreigners had to with the local police
34. Considering your salary, you should be able to at least twenty dollars a week.
A) put forward
B) put up
C) put out
D) put aside
35. As he has our patience, we’ll not wait for him any longer.
36. These teachers try to be objective when they the integrated ability of their students
37. Mrs. Morris’s daughter is pretty and ,and many girls envy her.
38. Tomorrow the mayor is to a group of Canadian businessmen on a tour of the city.
39. I’m enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
40. Can you give me even the clue as to where her son might be?
41. Norman Davis will be remembered by many with not only as a great scholar but also as a most delightful and faithful friend.
42. Salaries for positions seem to be higher than for permanent ones.
43. Most people agree that the present role of women has already affected U.S. society.
it has affected the traditional role of men.
A) Above all
B) In all
C) At most
D) At last
44. Science and technology have in important ways to the improvement of agricultural production.
45. As an actor he could communicate a whole of emotions.
46. This is what you should bear in mind: Don’t a salary increase before you actually get it.
A) hang on
B) draw on
C) wait on
D) count on
47. The ship’s generator broke down, and the pumps had to be operated instead of mechanically.
48. The little girl was so frightened that she just wouldn’t her grip on my arm.
49. He never arrives on time and my is that he feels the meetings are useless.
50. Mrs. Gmith was so about everything that no servants could please her.
51. Last night he saw two dark enter the building, and then there was the explosion.
52. It is obvious that this new rule is applicable to everyone without
53. His temper and personalky show that he can become a soldier of the top
54. During the lecture, the speaker occasionally his point by relating his own experiences.
55. Only those who can to lose their money should make high-risk investments.
56, He found the media attention intolerable and decided to go abroad.
57. There has been a collision a number of cars on the main road to town.
58. elephants are difthrent from wild elephants in many aspects, including their tempers.
59. Ten days ago the young man informed his boss of his intention to
60. As one of the world’s highest paid models, she had her face. for five million dollars