Part I Listening Comprehension (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your listening ability; it consists of 3 sections.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to understand short dialogues. There are .5 recorded dialogues in it. After each dialogue, there is a recorded question. Both the dialogues and questions will be spoken only once.
When you hear a question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D) given in your test paper
Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Example: You will hear:
You will read: A) New York City.
B) An evening party.
C) An air trip.
D) The man's job.
From the dialogue we learn that the man is to take a flight to New York. Therefore, C) An air trip is the correct answer. You should mark C) on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
[A] [B] [C] [D]
Now the test will begin.
1. A) It's attractive. C) It's important.
B) It's exciting. D) It's boring.
2. A) At a railway station. C) At an airport.
B) At a bank. D) At a parking lot.
3. A) By referring to the receptionist. C) By asking his friend.
B) By calling the telephone operator. D) By finding it in the phone book.
4. A) He's the boss. C) He's a new employee.
B) He's a visitor. D) He's the woman's friend.
5. A) $400. C) $300.
B) $200. D) $150.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to understand short conversations.
There are 2 recorded conversations in it. After each conversation, there are some recorded questions. Both the conversations and questions will be spoken two times. When you hear a question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked,4), B), C) and 17)) given in your test paper Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
6. A) Sports wear. C) Summer wear.
B) Holiday wear. D) Casual wear.
7. A) See more samples. C) Meet the designers.
B) Try on some T-shirts. D) Place an order.
8. A) He wanted to check the order number.
B) He wanted to order some computers.
C) He wanted to report on a problem.
D) He wanted to see the secretary.
9. A) They got a wrong order number from the caller.
B) They tailed to deliver the computers on time.
C) They couldn't find the order form.
D) They made a wrong delivery.
10. A) The salesman. C) Mr. Peterson.
B) The manager. D) Mary.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to comprehend short passages. You will hear a recorded passage. After that you will hear five questions. Both the passage and the questions will be read two times. When you hear a question, you should complete the answer to it with a word or a short phrase (in not more than 3 words). The questions and incomplete answers are printed in your test paper. You should write your answer on the Answer Sheet correspondingly. Now the passage will begin.
11. Why do more middle-aged adults have to take care of their aging parents?
Because people are living .
12. What does the speaker think of the job of taking care of an aging parent?
13. How are the family roles changed?
The dependent parents are cared for as if they were
14. What can a nursing home do for aging parents?
It provides them with proper .
15. What benefit can middle-aged adults get by sending their parents to a nursing home?
They can return to their .