Part II Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct
sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center
16. he was seriously iii, I wouldn't have told him the truth.
A) If I knew C) Had I known
B) If I know D) Did I know
17. She got to know the young man very well she had worked for so long.
A) to whom C) whom
B) in whom D) with whom
18. The car by the side of the road and the driver tried to repair it.
A) breaks down C) has broken down
B) was breaking down D) broke down
19. When he went out, he would wear sunglasses nobody would recognize
A) so that C) as though
B) now that D) in case
20. We were all excited at the news our manual sales had more than
A) which C) it
B) that D) what
21. Some people think about their fights than they do about their
A) so much C) much more
B) too much D) much too
22. The City of London, repeatedly in 1940 and 1941, lost many of its
A) bombed C) bombing
B) to bomb D) having bombed
23. traveling expenses rising a lot, Mrs. White had to change all her plans
for the tour.
A) Since C) By
B) As for D) With
24. I felt so embarrassed that I couldn't do anything but there when I first
met my present boss.
A) to sit C) sat
B) sitting D) sit
25. With the introduction of the computer, libraries today are quite different from
they were in the past.
A) that C) which
B) what D) those
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. It is important that he (be) called back immediately.
27. It is (reason) for parents to pay for their children's education.
28. At the meeting a (propose) was put forward by John Smith.
29. As a rule, readers (not allow) to take dictionaries out of the reading room.
30. It has been a long winter, and we're (eager) waiting for the coming of spring.
31. They fully recognized the enormous (strong) and influence of the union.
32. By the end of last year, nearly a million cars (produce) in that auto factory.
33. (Take) the financial difficulties into consideration, we'd better put off the plan till next year.
34. Dr. Richard, together with his wife and three children, (be) to arrive in Beijing this afternoon.
35. The global average air temperature is believed (rise) in the near future.