课程代码：00832Ⅰ、Each of the statements below is followed by four alternative answers. Choose the one that would best complete the statement and put the letter in the bracket. （30%）
1. There are two approaches to the study of polysemy. They are（ ）
A. primary and secondary B. central and peripheral
C. diachronic and synchronic D. formal and functional
2. Which of the following is NOT a stylistic feature of idioms？（ ）
A. Colloquial B. Slang
C. Negative D. Literary
3. Synonyms can be classified into two major groups， that is：（ ）
A. absolute and relative B. absolute and complete
C. relative and near D. complete and identical
4. In the early period of Middle English， English，（ ）existed side by side.
A. Celtic and Danish B. Danish and French
C. Latin and Celtic D. French and Latin
5. A monomorphemic word is a word that consists of a single （ ）morpheme.
A. formal B. concrete
C. free D. bound
6. Which of the following groups of words is NOT onomatopoeically motivated？（ ）
A. croak， drum B. squeak， bleat
C. buzz， neigh D. bang， trumpet
7. LDCE is distinctive for its（ ）
A. clear grammar codes B. usage notes
C. language notes D. all of the above
8. From the historical point of view， English is more closely related to（ ）
A. German B. French
C. Scottish D. Irish
9. Which of the following is NOT an acronym？（ ）
A. TOEFL B.ODYSSEY
C. BASIC D. CCTV
10. In the course book， the author lists（ ）types of context clues for inferring word meaning.
A. eight B. six
C. seven D. five
11. Sources of homonyms include（ ）
A. changes in sound and spelling B. borrowing
C. shortening D. all of the above
12. The written form of English is a（an）（ ）representation of the spoken form.
A. selective B. adequate
C. imperfect D. natural
13. Structurally a（ ）is the smallest meaningful unit of a language.
A. morpheme B. stem
C. word D. compound
14. Unlike affixes，（ ）are often free morphemes.
A. suffixes B. prefixes
C. inflectional morphemes D. roots
15. The four major foreign contributors to the English vocabulary in earlier times were French， Latin，（ ）
A. Scandinavian and Italian B. Greek and Scandinavian
C. Celtic and Greek D. Italian and Spanish
Ⅱ、 Complete the following statements with proper words or expressions according to the course book. （10%）
16. The name given to the widening of meaning which some words undergo is___________.
17. Longman Lexicon of Contemporary English is a___________ dictionary.
18. When a new word appears for the first time， the author usually manages to give hints or ___________ in the context to help the readers.
19. Radiation and ___________ are the two coinages which the development of word meaning follows from monosemy to polysemy.
20. Middle English refers to the language spoken from 1150 to___________.
Ⅲ、Match the words or expressions in Column A with those in Column B according to 1） word origin， 2） word formation， and 3） types of synonyms or antonyms. （10%）
（ ） 21. skill A. back-formation
（ ） 22. babysit B. blending
（ ） 23. telequiz C. French origin
（ ） 24. composition/compounding D. Scandinavian origin
（ ） 25. government E. clipping
（ ） 26. same/ different F. relative synonyms
（ ） 27. gent G. Germanic
（ ） 28. English H. absolute synonyms
（ ） 29. change/ alter I. Contradictory terms
（ ） 30. big/ small J. contrary terms
Ⅳ、Study the following words or expressions and identify 1） types of bound morphemes underlined， 2） types of meanings， 3） processes of meaning development， and 4） formation of compounds. （10%）
31. neck→primary meaning： that part of man joining the head to the body；
a secondary meaning： the narrowest part of anything. （ ）
32. contradict （ ）
33. mother： love， care （ ）
34. upcoming （ ）
35. window shopping （ ）
36. radios （ ）
37. property developer （ ）
38. candidate→earlier meaning： white-robed；
later meaning： a person proposed for a place， award etc. （ ）
39. handsome （ ）
40. northward （ ）
Ⅴ、Define the following terms. （10%）
42. borrowed words
45. phrasal verb
Ⅵ、Answer the following questions. Your answers should be clear and short. Write your answers in the space given below. （12%）
46. What is the difference between prefixation and suffixation？ Explain with two examples.
47. What is extra-linguistic context？
48. What is polysemy？ Illustrate your points.
Ⅶ、Analyze and comment on the following. Write your answers in the space given below. （18%）
49. Study the following sentence and try to guess the meaning of the word in italics. Then explain what contextual clues help you to work out the meaning.
Carnivores are very dangerous. Not long ago， a tiger escaped from the zoo and killed a dog in the street and ate it.
50. Connotative meaning is not stable. Comment on this statement with one example.