1. The American economic system is, organized around a basically private-enterprise, market- oriented economy in which consumers largely determine what shall be produced by spending their money in the marketplace for those goods and services that they want most.
2. Thus, in the American economic system it is the demand of individual consumers, coupled with the desire of businessmen to maximize profits and the desire of individuals to maximize their incomes, that together determine what shall be produced and how resources are used to produce it.
3. If, on the other hand, producing more of a commodity results in reducing its cost, this will tend to increase the supply offered by seller-producers, which in turn will lower the price and permit more consumers to buy the product.
[参考译文] 另一方面，如果大量制造某种商品导致其成本下降，那么这就有可能增加卖方和制造商能提供的供给，而这也就会反过来降低价格并允许更多的消 费者购买产品。
4. In the American economy, the concept of private property embraces not only the ownership of productive resources but also certain rights, including the right to determine the price of a product or to make a free contract with another private individual.
[参考译文] 在美国经济中，私有财产的概念不仅包含对生产资源的所有权，也指其他一些特定的权利，如确定一个产品价格和与另一个私人个体(经济单位) 自由签定合同的权利。
5. At the same time these computers record which hours are busiest and which employers are the most efficient, allowing personnel and staffing assignments to be made accordingly. And they also identify preferred customers for promotional campaigns.
6. Numerous other commercial enterprises, from theaters to magazine publishers, from gas and electric utilities to milk processors, bring better and more efficient services to consumers through the use of computers.
7. Exceptional children are different in some significant way from others of the same age For these children to develop to their full adult potential, their education must be adapted to those differences.
8. The great interest in exceptional children shown in public education over the past three decades indicates the strong feeling in our society that all citizens, whatever their special conditions, deserve the opportunity to fully develop their capabilities.
9. It serves directly to assist a rapid distribution of goods at reasonable price, thereby establishing a firm home market and so making it possible to provide for export at competitive prices.
10. Apart from the fact that twenty-seven acts of Parliament govern the terms of advertising, no regular advertiser dare promote a product that fails to live up to the promise of his advertisements.
11. If its message were confined merely to information and that in itself would be difficult if not impossible to achieve, for even a detail such as the choice of the color of a shirt is subtly persuasive-advertising wound be so boring that no one wound pay any attention.
[参考译文] 如果其信息只被局限于告知一一就广告而言，如果这不是完全不可能达到的，也是非常难做的，因为即便是一个诸如衬衫的颜色的选择这样的细节都会具有微妙的说服意味，那么广告就会如此地乏味以至于没有人 会关注它。
12. The workers who gets a promotion, the student whose grades improve, the foreigner who learns a new language-all these are examples of people who have measurable results to show for there efforts.
[参考译文] 得到了升迁的工人们，成绩进步的学生，学会了一门新语言的外国人一 一这些都是那些有可衡量的结果宋显示其努力的人们的例证。
13. As families move away from their stable community, their friends of many years, their extended family relationships, the informal flow of information is cut off, and with it the confidence that information will be available when needed and will be trustworthy and reliable.
14. The individual now has more information available than any generation, and the task of finding that one piece of information relevant to his or her specific problem is complicated, time——consuming, and sometimes even overwhelming.
[参考译文] 现在每个人能够得到的信息比任何时代的人都多，而找到与他／她的特定问题相关的那一点信息的任务不仅复杂、耗时，有时甚至令人难以招 。
15. Expertise can be shared world wide through teleconferencing, and problems in dispute can be settled without the participants leaving their homes and/or jobs to travel to a distant conference site.
16. The current passion for making children compete against their classmates or against the clock produces a two-layer system, in which competitive A-types seem in some way better than their B type fellows.
17. While talking to you, your could-be employer is deciding whether your education, your experience, and other qualifications will pay him to employ you and your "wares" and abilities must be displayed in an orderly and reasonably connected manner.
[参考译文] 在跟你谈话的时候，可能成为你的雇主的人就一直在衡量你的教育、经 验和其他资格是不是值得他雇用你，而你的"商品"和能力一定要以一 种有条不紊而且合情合理的相互关联的方式被展示出来。
18. The Corporation will survive as a publicly funded broadcasting organization, at least for the time being, but its role, its size and its programs are now the subject of a nation wide debate in Britain.
[参考译文] 英国广播公司将作为一个公共基金支持的广播组织存在下来，至少目前 会这样，但是它的角色、它的规模和它的节目现在在英国成了全国上下 的讨论话题。
19. The debate was launched by the Government, which invited anyone with an opinion of the BBC——including ordinary listeners and viewer to say what was good or bad about the Corporation, and even whether they thought it was worth keeping.
[参考译文] 这场辩论是由政府发动的，政府请任何一个对英国广播公司有意见的人 一包括普通的听众和观众一来说说这个公司好在哪里或坏在哪里，甚至 要说说他们是否认为这个公司值得被保留下来。
20. The change met the technical requirements of the new age by engaging a large profess signal element and prevented the decline in efficiency that so commonly spoiled the fortunes of family firms in the second and third generation after the energetic founders.
[参考译文] 这种变化通过引入许多的专业因素从而适应了这个新时代的技术要求， 并且它(这种变化)防止了效率的降低。这种效率的降低在精力充沛的 创业者之后的第二代和第三代人(领导公司)的时候，经常会毁掉那些 家族公司的财富。