. Read these sentences and the following business index.
. Which advisor each sentense (1-7) describe?
. For each sentence mark one letter (A , B ,C ,D or E) on your Answer Sheet.
The company invests a large sum of money in high technology.
1. It is engaged in the expansion of a telecommunications line.
2. No other steel industries have such a high rating. .
3. The company is the chief holder of a British company's shares.
4. As much as forty million U. S. dollars are invested in Taiwan.
5. It has business transactions with an American company.
6. The company gets a very high interest rate from its stocks.
7. Agreements were signed between two companies about technological cooperation.
A. Telecom Asia Corporation Limited (Thailand )
-It serves as international advisor in connection with the debt and equity financing for a US $3 billion telephone line expansion project in Bangkok. (Current)
B. Singapore Telecom international Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
- It acquires its 50/00 interest in Cambridge Holding Ltd. ,the controlling shareholder of Cambridge Cable Ltd. of the U. K. (6/1992)
C. Pohang Iron 6 Steel Co. ,Ltd. (Korea) .
In connection with its ratings with Standard & Poor's and Moody's investor Services. The company obtained the highest rating of any steei company in the world. (II/1991)
D. Goldstar Co. ,Ltd. (Korea)
In its investiment in ,and technology agreements with ,Zenith Electronics of the U. S. -the first transaction of this type in Korea. (2/1991 )
E. Concord Venture Capital Co. , Ltd.(Taiwan) '
-Structured ,marketed to investors and made a principal investment in the Fund with total equity of NT $ 940 million(US $ 40 million) to invest in Taiwanese high-technology venture capital opportunities. (I/1991)
Questions 8-1 2
. Read this advertisement of a Canadian computer incorporation.
. Choose the best sentence from the list A-I on page 5 to fill each of the blanks.
. For each blank (8-12)mark one letter(A -I) on your Answer Sheet.
. Do not mark any letter twice.
. One answer has been given as an example.
AST'S BRAVO FAMILY
Our new and improved Bravo series of personal computers is designed to do calculations in a new way. . …… . ……example . . . . . .
For example , the new Bravo MT has the same features of Intel's very fast Pentium 60MHz microprocessor. It's all the power you need to run an entire workgroup or the latest graphics-intensive programs, and processes even the most complicated mathematical calculations five times faster than the DX2/66. …… 8…… It's perfect for the power user who demands high performance at an attractive price point.
Also new from AST is our latest generation of Bravo LC desktops, a value line of energy efficient 486 personal computers. Our entire Bravo LC family ,while still affordable, has new muscle——Intel 486 microprocessors up to 100 MHz and a VESA Local Bus slot. Today, it's fast, tomorrow it could be even faster, if you choose to raise it to Intel's Pentium Over Drive processor. How about more performance in less space? The Bravo LP is a low profile 486 , loaded with award-winning engineering. …… …… 9 …… …… And the graphics RAM can be enlarged to ZMB for 64-bit processing.
Our new Bravo NB notebook computers, recently named the number one of the 20 world's top notebook computers ,are some of our best examples of the Bravo family. …… ……10 …… …… It is particularly ideal for small businesses ,home offices ,and mobile users.
With Bravo , there's something for everyone. Including high value , performance , and the most responsive around the-clock phone support anywhere. …… …… 11 …… ……
By the way ,our 486 Bravos are all approved by the Environmental Protection Agency…… …… 12…… ……For an AST reseller near you ,please call 800 876- 4 AST.
A. Would you expect anything from the world's fifth largest (and growing )personal computer company?
B. In addition ,you'll find .yourself in the enjoyment of free maintenance and
C. If you want speed, power, expandability, and dazzling graphics performance at a very affordable price, you'll find it in our Bravo personal computers.
D. The MT also comes with two AL-slots for graphic upgrades and installed windows-based software solutions.
E. So , you'll save energy , money ,and perhaps a few trees.
F. For instance, innovative security features help you keep your most confidential work to yourself.
G. As a result, you need a certificate issued by the Environment Protection Agency if you buy a personal computer.
H. The Bravo NB4/33 is even thinner, lighter ,faster , and more affordable- using very little power with a longer battery life.
I. Finally, the DX2/66 is inferior to our Bravo MT in speed, function and
. Read this brochure about the Canadian city, Saint John, and answer questions 13 to 20 that follow.
Canada's Most Cost-Effective City
In today's business climate, every corporate decision is measured by one standard-how it influences bottom line. So for businesses in Saint John, New Brunswick , important decisions usually comes easier. The reason? Saint John is the country's most cost-effective city.
Many Companies ,including major telemarketing operations ,are moving in to take advantage of substantially more competitive operating costs for human resources , workers' compensation, telecommunications and business convenience.
1. In Saint John, city center rents run approximately one-third less than the national average. Downtown Class A office space ranges in price from the low to mid teens. Class B rents for much lower fees. Salaries cost an average of 23 percent less when compared to other major centers. These reduced costs and lower household expenses make for a winning combination where employers and employees both benefit. .
2. From superhighways to future highways ,Saint John has it all. Leading-edge technology supplied by companies like NBTel will link your firm to the world. Combine this technology with low-cost telecommunications rates and round-the-clock service ,and you have three good reasons why national firms like Northern Telecom ,Canada Trust and Meditrust now call Saint John home.
3. NBTel's Competitive telecommunications rates can help an employer realize annual savings of 25 percent and more. Lower property and commercial taxes ,Canada's second lowest electric power rates, and no business of salary taxes make. Saint John an ideal cost-saving location. In recent comparative studies to detemine the least expensive city center, Saint John ranked number one compared to 27 U. S. cities.
4. Saint John means profitability and good business sense. To help companies considering business expansion or relocation ,the newly created Greater Saint John Economic Development Commission is ready to take an active role in your evaluation process. General manager Steve Carson says the Commission's role is simple :We're
here to make it easier to set up or expand a business in Saint John.
. For questions 13-1 6,choose the correct title for each paragraph from the box below.
. For each paragraph (1-4)mark one letter (AG) on your Answer Sheet.
. Do not mark any letter twice.
13. Paragraph 1 ……
14. Paragraph 2 ……
15. Paragraph 3 ……
16. Paragraph 4 ……
A. Low living cost
B. Good traffic and telecommunication services
O. Sanit John's cheap rents
D. Two classes of rents
E. The number one expensive city center
F. Encouragement for new business activities
G. Good business sense
. Using the information in the text , complete each sentence 17-20 ,with a phrase from the list below (A -G) .
. For each sentence (17 20) mark one letter (AG) on your Answer Sheet.
. De not mark any letter twice.
17. The task of Greater Saint John Economic Development Commission is to. . . . . .
18. In Saint John, employees'wages. . . . . .
19. There are a few reasons why national companies. . . . . .
20. In Saint John ,New Brunswick it is easier than elsewhere for companies to. . . . .
A. cost twenty-three percent less than other major centers
B. make important decisions
C. take advantage of human resources
D. link your business to others all over the world
E. determine the cheapest city center
F. consider Saint John to be their home
G. help set up or expand a business in this city
Questions 21 -35
. Read this advertisement.
. Choose the best word to fill each gap.
. For each question (21 35) mark one letter (A , B ,C ,D)on your Answer Sheet.
. One answer has been given as an example.
Too much to read! It's impossible to find time to read today's top business books-and thousands are published each year. Yet not keeping up with those books could be a serious-and expensive mistake. Often the ideas and insights they . . . . . . example. . . . . are available nowhere else. But how can you even. . . . . .21. . . . . . which titles are worthwhile-let alone find time to read them?
Fortunately, there's a . . . …… .22. …… . . . : Soundview Executive Book Summaries. It really. . . . . . 23…… . . . . In fact, it's . . . . . . 24. . . . . . to work. It is ingenious and essential. Every month, you . . . . . . 25. . . . . two or three quick reading, time saving . . . . . .26. . . …… . of the best new business books. Each contains all the key points in the . . . . . . 27. . . . . . book. The big difference ,instead of 200 to 500 pages ,the summary is only & pages. Instead of . . . . . . 28. . . . . . five ,ten or more hours to read ,it takes just 15 minutes.
Of the thousands of business books . . . . . . 29. . . . . .annually, only a . . . . . . 30. . . . . .are really worth reading. To save your time, our Editorial Board goes over them all . . . . . . 31. . . . . .90%. Our standards are . . . . . . 32. . . . . .,and the criteria rigorous.
When a book meets all our tests, we prepare a Summary, instead of a review or a digest. You get a skillful distillation that preserves the content ad spirit of the . . . . . . 33. . . . . .books. The titles cover every. . . . . . 34. . . . . .of concern to business people today. There's . . . . . . 35. . . . . .else like Soundview Executive Book Summaries.
A. express B. understand C. contain D. find
21 . A. see B. know C. ask D. answer
22. A. answer B. solution C. question D. problem
23. A. works B. costs C. sells D. buys
24. A. guarded B. granted C. guided D. guaranteed
25. A. pay B. send C. receive D. buy
26. A. titles B. summaries C. names D. prices
27. A. original B. first C. same D. another
28. A. spending B. costing C. taking D. sitting
29. A. publicized B. polished C. published D. popularized
30. A. dozen B. little C. handful D. couple
31. A. choosing B. eliminating C. writing D. publishing
32. A. high B. low C. expensive D. cheap
33. A. entire B. tired C. entering D. old
34. A. word B. subject C. sentence D. idea
35. A. something B. anything C. all D. nothing
. Read this text about a Japanese company.
. In most of the lines (36-40) there is one extra word which does not fit in. One or two line, however , are correct.
. If the line is correct ,put a tick (√)in the space on your Answer Sheet.
. If there is an extra word in the line, write that word in the space on your Answer Sheet.
For short distance, it uses its own' self airplanes. For international ……self……
flights it calls on leading airlines including the Japanese Airlines. …… …… √…… . ……
LUFTHANSE , WELCOME ON ABOARD
It's only normal that a service-oriented company should look to other
36. service companies as partners. The reputation for excellence of every each
37. of DHL's partners strongly motivated its choice. To make that sure that
38. everyone made the right choice ,they agreed to give their final answer
39. after a two-year old trial period. Faster service ,better airport
40. facilities; the benefits to the customers are clear. They will also grow up
in the near future ,allowing customers to choose from so many services.
. A student has translated a piece of news in a Chinese newspaper back into English and asked you to check it.
. In each line there is one wrong word.
. For each numbered line (41-45) write the correct word in the space on your Answer Sheet.
They have selled their products in 20 countries. …… ……sold …… ……
British farmers are troubled by straw. They produce more than
41. ten millions tons every year as a byproduct of farming and
42. their animals need only four million tons for bedding and fooding.
43. Since European air-pollution laws forbid people to burnt straw,
44. the extra straw is plowed under or leave to rot. Scientists have
45. now found a way to put the straw to good using by changing a
neat-loving bacterium in the straw.
You are going to spend holidays in Hawaii in June. Suddenly you received a letter from an important customer ,Mr. Elton Deland ,who will arrive on 25th June and discuss the claim. You have to delay the trip till July.
Write a short message to Ms. Anne Folster, your secretary.
. Explain Why you postpone your trip.
. Mention the date when Mr Elton Deland will arrive.
. Ask her to arrange your meeting.
. Write 30-40words on your Answer Sheet.
You work for General ,a company which produces cars. You` are in charge of Product Development. Reed the following chart which shows the results of a survey between your company and Quaker, your main competitor. The chart does not tell the exact numbers but the exact ratings. A refers to Gener41 company ,while B refers to Quaker company.
. Use the information in the chart to write a short report (about 100- 120 words) analyzing the reason why Quaker over benefits recently to increase your company's competitiveness.
. Write on your Answer Sheet.
A : General company B :Quaker company
. You will hear three telephone conversations.
. Write down one word or number in the numbered spaces on the forms below.
Message One. Questions 1-4
To : Mr(1) . . . . From: Mary
Date : 21st May Time: 10 : 00
1. Mr. Martin will arrive in Tokyo around
2:30 Tokyo time on .(2). . . . . . afternoon
by Flight Pan-Am (3). . . . . .
2. Mr. Martin , has moustache , tall ,
dark , ( 4 ) . . . . . . hair , wears glasses, sweaters.
Message Two. Questions 5- 8
To: Henry Stewart. . . . . From: Cathy
Date : 23rd March Time : 10 : 20
1. When you were out of town Bruce (5). . . . . called.
He was from Quick (6). . . . . . Supply Company.
2. He wanted to place (7). . . . . . orders with us.
You can ring him on (8). . . . . . except Wednesday morning.
Message Three. Question 9- 12
Date : 29th Oct. Time : 11:20
Name of the Customer: John Lee from National (9). . . . . . Import 6 Export
No. of the Customers : (10) . . . . . .
Time for Dinner : around (11). . . . . . tomorrow evening .
Miscellanea : Like to eat at an (12). . . . . . room
. You will hear five short pieces.
. For each piece decide what the speaker is going to do next.
. Write one letter (A-H) next to the number of the piece
. You will hear the five pieces twice.
13. . . . . . . . . .
14. . . . . . . . . .
l5. . . . . . . . . .
16. . . . . . . . . .
17. . . . . . . . . .
A to send a telex
B to check a car
C to run a store
D to scan the ads
E to drive a car
F to read a magazine
G to take a vocation
H to buy clothes
. You wi71 hear another five short pieces.
. For each piece decide what the speaker is talking about.
. Write one letter (AH) next to the number of the piece.
. You will hear the five pieces twice.
18. . . . . . . . .
19. . . . . . . . .
20. . . . . . . . .
21 …… . . . . . . .
22. . . . . . . . .
Questions 23-30 .
.You will hear a talk presented by a reporter. This talk is about various kinds of problems occurring during the east-west cooperation upon vehicles and machinery on the third market.
. You have to complete the sentences (23- 30) by choosing the correct answer.
. Mark one letter (A ,B or C).
23. ECE refers to
A European Committee of Economics.
B European Commity of Economics.
C Economic Committee of Europe.
24. If you want to open the car market in different third-market areas ,you will meet
A very different problems.
B almost the same problems.
C the similar problems.
25. If a new machine is going to be delivered on the third-market ,modifications have to be made
A in packaging features.
B to minor extent.
C to great extent.
26. Can meet the changed specifications in time. -
A Quick ordering .
B Effective management
C Long lead-time
27. If you want to compete with other rivals on the third-market, you must
A have close relations with the suppliers.
B have close contact with the market.
C keep close attention to your products.
28. The chemical products under east-west cooperation must
A adjust themselves quickly to the market.
B be invented quickly to the manufacturers.
C keep steady amount to the clients.
29. In the turnkey plant area, has little experience.
A eastern enterprise
B western enterprise
C local supplier
30. has to be assessed in the third market place.
A Package certificate
B Package price
C Package colour