1. Philip Roth was hailed as a major new author in 1960.
2. He was one of the principal organizers of the association.
3. It is postulated that population trends have an effect on economic fluctuations.
4. This kind of animals are on the verge of extinction, because so many are being killed for their fur.
A) drying up
B) dying out
C) being exported
D) being transplanted
5. The train came to an abrupt stop, making us wonder where we were.
6. During the Second World War, all important resources in the U.S. were allocated by the federal government.
7. The little boy was so fascinated by the mighty river that he would spend hours sitting on its bank and gazing at the passing boats and rafts.
A) very strong
B) very long
C) very great
D) very fast
8. The stories of Sarah Orne Jewett are considered by many to be more authentically regional than those of Bret Harte.
9. The number of United States citizens who are eligible to vote continues to increase.
10. Formulated in 1823, the Monroe Doctrine asserted that the Americas were no longer open to European colonization.
A) stated firmly
B) argued light-mindedly
C) thought seriously
D) announced regrettably
11. Smoking is not permitted in the office.
12. The chairman proposed that we should stop the meeting.
13. I feel regret about what's happened.
14. She has proved that she can be relied on in a crisis.
A) lived on
B) depended on
C) lived off
D) believed in
15. John removed his overcoat.
A) took away
B) left aside
C) took off
D) washed off
CABBC DABDA DCABC