1. America's emphasis on the importance of education for everyone has spurred scientific research.
A) encouraged B) endangered C) endorsed D) enlarged
2. Photojournalist Margaret White became famous for her coverage of significant events during the Second World War.
A) baggage B )orphanage C)reportage D ) usage
3. Below 600 feet ocean waters range from dimly lit to completely dark.
A) inadequately B ) hardly C) faintly D) sufficiently
4. "I'm not meddling ". Mary said mildly. "I'm just curious".
A) gently B )shyly C) weakly D) sweetly
5. In 1861 it seemed inevitable that the Southern states would break away from the Union.
A) strange B) certain C) inconsistent D) proper
6. Many of novelist Carson McCullers' characters are isolated, disappointed people.
A) solitary B) gloomy C) feeble D) frugal
7. The workers finally called off the strike.
A) put off B) ended C) cancelled D) participated in
8. John has made up his mind not to go to the meeting .
A) wanted B) promised C) decided D) agreed
9. I catch cold now and then.
A) always B) occasionally C ) constantly D) regularly
10. He often finds fault with my work.
A) criticizes B) praises C) evaluates D) talks about
11. The little girl grasped her mother's arm as she crossed the street.
A) understood B) had a hold over C) took hold of D) left hold of
12. In judging our work you should take into consideration the fact that we have been very busy recently.
A) thought B) mind C) account D) memory
13. I can no longer tolerate his actions.
A) put up with B) accept C) take D) suffer from
14. The doctors have abandoned the hope to rescue the old man.
A) left B) given up C) turned down D) refused
15. Have you talked to her lately?
A) lastly B) shortly C) recently D) immediately