1. Most chemical reactions of an organic compound involve only a few of its numerous atoms and bonds; the remainder stay unchanged.
2. The specific mechanisms by which cortisone and similar compounds function are poorly documented.
3. Can you account for your absence from the class last Thursday?
4. A limited number of books on this subject are in the library.
5. The company recommended that a new petrol station be built here.
6. Jim has gained so much weight that a lot of his clothes don't fit him any more.
A) put off
B) put down
C) put on
D) put up
7. Foreign money can be converted at this bank.
8. Government health campaigns have fostered an awareness of the dangers in certain social habits.
9. Evidence exists that hearing problems may be alleviated by changes in diet and exercise habits.
10. The police contended that the difficulties they faced were too severe.
11. The conclusion can be deduced from the premises.
12. Fruits such as apples and oranges are very wholesome, and may be eaten at any time.
13. There are only five minutes left, but the outcome of the match is still in doubt.
14. Long before the concert began, big crowds of pop fans had assembled in the stadium.
15. It is hard for the young people to imagine what severe conditions their parents once lived under.
KEY: CCABC CBCDA BBDCB