Traveling in America
If you want to see the beautiful land of America, you can travel in a jet plane or by train. It takes you about five hours to fly over the continental United Sates from the east coast to the west coast; it takes more than two days to go by train from New York City to Los Angeles. As the highways and super-highways crisscross the country, it is better to make a trip in a car. But it is expensive to own a car in any U.S. city.
The most convenient public transportation of getting from place to place in a city is the bus. Passengers are required to have the exact change in hand as they board a bus - or you may buy "tokens" in advance. In some cities bus and subway tokens can be used interchangeably. However, bus fare depends upon distance; the farther you travel, the higher the fare.
Subways are by far the quickest way to move around a city. There are a few warnings that should be observed:
1. Save yourself trouble by buying tokens in quantity if you plan to use subways regularly.
2. Stand near the token booth or with a group of decent - looking people while waiting for a train.
3. Choose to sit in cars where there are other people rather than empty ones.
4. Try to avoid rush hours if you can.
5. Hold your purse firmly and consciously - don't let it dangle. Men should carry wallets in inside not hip pockets.