1. The teacher told the class to _____ their books.
A. put away B. put up C. put on D. put by
2. My sister is used to _____ with all the windows open.
A. sleep B. sleeping
C. the sleeping D. have slept
3. Not until the game had begun _____ at the sports ground.
A. he arrived B. he didnt arrive
C. did he arrive D. would he arrive
4. Most Chinese like to drink tea. But some prefer coffee _____ tea.
A. to B. for C. with D. against
5. Two _____ died of cold last winter.
A. hundreds old people B. hundred old people
C. hundreds old peoples D. hundred old peoples
6. _____ he comes, we wont be able to go.
A. Except B. Unless C. Without D. Even
7. The house is dark; the Browns _____ to bed.
A. may go B. should go
C. should have gone D. must have gone
8. If you want to telephone him, youll have to _____ up the number In the book.
A. look B. see C. find D. search
9. It _____ John and Kate who helped me the other day.
A. is B. was C. are D. were
10. The enemy troops _____ heavy losses in the battle.
A. suffered B. received C. accepted D. met
11. Her English is very good. She can speak English better than _____ in her grade.
A. any one B. the one
C. any one else D. other student
12. _____ is known to the world, Mark Twain is a great American writer.
A. That B. Which C. As D. It
13. He suddenly returned _____ a Sunday morning.
A. on B. at C. in D. during
14. _____ leaves the room last ought to turn off the lights.
A. Anyone B. The person C. Whoever D. Who
15. The teacher spent almost the whole afternoon _____ the students homework.
A. to go over B. go over
C. going over D. went over
16. They usually have less money at the end of the month than _____ at the beginning.
A. which is B. which was
C. they have D. it is
17. We are looking forward to _____ a trip to your country.
A. take B. taking C. be taking D. having taken
18. He spoke so quickly that I didnt _____ what he said.
A. catch B. miss C. listen D. receive
19. When I asked him to have a drink with me, he said he was in a hurry and not a minute to _____.
A. spend B. save C. spare D. share
20. John has three sisters. Mary is the _____ of the three.
A. most cleverest B. more clever
C. cleverest D. cleverer
21. No permission has _____ for anybody to enter the building.
A. been given B. given C. to give D. be giving
22. When _____ again? When he _____, Ill let you know.
A. he comes; comes B. will he come; will come
C. he comes; will come D. will he come; comes
23. She didnt remember _____ him before.
A. having met B. have met
C. to meet D. to having met
24. _____ I havent seen the film, I know very little about it.
A. After B. As C. Although D. Before
25. Let me give you _____.
A. such an advice B. some advices
C. an advice D. some advice
26. Has anyone seen my dictionary _____?
A. everywhere B. somewhere
C. nowhere D. anywhere
27. After seeing the film, I felt _____ my friend.
A. same as B. the same as
C. same with D. the same for
28. Four people were seriously _____ in an accident on the motorway.
A. injured B. damaged C. spoiled D. broken
29. They want to know _____ do to help us.
A. what can they B. what they can
C. how they can D. how can they
30. You _____ return the book now. You can keep it till next week if you like.
A. cant B. mustnt C. neednt D. may not
31. The horse is getting old and cannot run _____ it did.
A. as faster as B. so fast than
C. so faster as D. as fast as
32. Where _____ the recorder? I cant see it anywhere.
I _____ it right here. But now its gone!
A. did you put; have put B. have you put; put
C. had you put; was putting D. were you putting; have put
33. It is impossible for so _____ workers to do so _____ work in a single day.
A. few; much B. few; many
C. little; much D. little; many
34. Hello! I _____ you _____ in London. How long have you been here?
A. dont know; were B. hadnt known; are
C. havent known; are D. didnt know; were
35. The streets are all wet. It _____ during the night.
A. must be raining B. must have rained
C. had to rain D. must have rain
36. John went to town yesterday and had his bike _____ there.
A. to repair B. repaired C. repairing D. repair
37. This room _____ in the building.
A. is the biggest than any other one
B. is bigger than any other one
C. is biggest than any other one
D. is bigger than any one
38. His parents wouldnt let him marry anyone _____ family was poor.
A. of whom B. whom C. of whose D. whose
39. Where is my pen? I _____ it.
A. might lose B. would have lost
C. should have lost D. must have lost
40. She told us _____ story that we all forgot about the time!
A. such an interesting B. such interesting a
C. so an interesting D. a so interesting
41. They asked me to have a drink with them. I said that it was at least ten years since I _____ a good drink.
A. had enjoyed B. was enjoying
C. have enjoyed D. have been enjoying
42. That suit _____ over 60 dollars.
A. has costed B. costed C. is costed D. cost
43. Mother _____ us stories when we were young.
A. was used to tell B. is used to telling
C. used to tell D. used to telling
44. I wish I _____ you yesterday.
A. seen B. did see C. had seen D. were to see
45. Somebody knocked at the door while I _____.
A. started reading B. was doing some reading
C. have read D. read
46. Mr. Smith _____ here for three weeks.
A. is already being B. has already been
C. has already been being D. is already
47. _____ writer is better known in China, Charles Dickens or Mark Twain?
A. Which B. What C. Either D. Whether
48. Is _____ possible to fly to the moon in a spaceship?
A. now B. man C. that D. it
49. The chair looks rather hard, but in fact it is very comfortable to
A. sit B. sit on C. be sat D. be sat on
50. They knew her very well. They had seen her _____ up from childhood.
A. grow B. grew C. was growing D. to grow
51. Was it during the Second World War _____ he died?
A. that B. while C. in which D. then
52. The students are _____ young people between the ages of sixteen and twenty.
A. most B. much C. mostly D. at most
53. I only came to thank you and return the book you _____ me.
A. borrow B. borrowed C. lend D. lent
54. Were looking _____ to hearing from you soon.
A. at B. forward C. for D. up
55. Billy has difficulty _____ the rest of the class.
A. to keep up with B. to keep up
C. keeping up with D. keeping up
56. It wont make much _____ whether you leave today or tomorrow.
A. different B. differences
C. difference D. differently
57. As it was a stormy night, _____ people went to see the film.
A. a few B. few C. several D. many
58. _____ the temperature, _____ water turns into steam.
A. The high; the fast B. Higher; faster
C. The more higher; the faster D. The higher; the faster
59. We _____ for her because she never came.
A. needn't wait B. shouldn't have waited
C. mustn't wait D. mustn't have waited
60. Ill never forget _____ you for the first time.
A. meeting B. to meet C. being met D. to have met
61. People who wont work should be made _____.
A. to work B. work C. working D. to be working
62. The rice _____ if you had been more careful.
A. would not be burning B. would not burn
C. would not have been burnt D. would not burnt
63. Is this the house _____ Shakespeare was born?
A. at where B. which C. in which D. at which
64. My teacher _____ good English.
A. says B. speaks C. talks D. tells
65. By the time we got to the cinema, the film _____ for half an hour.
A. has begun B. had begun
C. has been on D. had been on
66. The teacher said that the earth _____ around the sun.
A. run B. ran C. runs D. was running
67. Jim suggested that they _____ their supper.
A. had B. would have
C. should have D. should have eaten
68. What else did you do yesterday _____ repairing your bike?
A. except for B. except C. beside D. besides
69. _____ wonderful birthday I am having!
A. What B. What a C. How D. How much
70. The program was so _____ that they were too _____ to fall asleep.
A. exciting; exciting B. exciting; excited
C. excited; exciting D. excited; excited
71. She pretended _____ me when I passed by.
A. not to see B. to not see
C. not seeing D. having not seen
72. They held a conference to decide _____ to meet the emergency.
A. how B. what C. that D. which
73. I tried to get out of the business, _____ I found impossible to carry on.
A. what B. which C. that D. in which
74. This book is for the students _____ native language is not English
to study in an American college or university.
A. their B. that C. of whom D. whose
75. Everything _____ can be done has been done.
A. that B. on which C. in what D. by which
76. He is the man to _____ I gave the money.
A. who B. that C. which D. whom
77. This is the same girl _____ came to borrow an English book two days ago.
A. as B. who C. that D. which
78. Rose told them all _____ to Oliver.
A. which happened B. that had happened
C. which had happened D. that had been happened
79. Thus, if you have a taste for exciting adventures you may want to join the group of men _____ is to explore the mysteries of the deep sea.
A. their work B. who work
C. who D. whose work
80. Is this the book _____?
A. for which youre looking
B. for that youre looking
C. for whom youre looking
D. for it youre looking
81. These are the happiest hours _____ we have ever spent.
A. when B. which C. that D. at which
82. Have you read the story _____ is the most interesting?
A. the end of it B. the end of which
C. the end of that D. the end
83. He doesnt believe _____ I said, _____ makes me sad.
A. that … which B. what … which
C. what … that D. which … what
84. He is anxious to have the same dictionary _____ you bought the other day.
A. which B. that as C. as D. what
85. September 10th is the day _____ we shall never forget.
A. which B. on which C. when D. about which
86. Can you solve such problems _____ raised by the audience?
A. what were B. as were
C. which were D. that were
87. The first thing _____ she should do was to repair the shed.
A. what B. as C. that D. which
88. All _____ the students need _____.
A. what … has been done
B. that … have been done
C. which … have been done
D. / … has been done
89. _____ you get into the habit of smoking, its difficult to stop.
A. While B. As C. Once D. Though
90. You may use my dictionary _____ you like.
A. as long as B. so C. because D. while if
91. She is determined to finish the work _____ long it takes.
A. no matter B. whenever C. how D. however
92. Thick ice had to be broken _____ animals could get drinking water.
A. because B. though C. so that D. if
93. I watched him _____ he disappeared from sight in the distance.
A. until B. unless C. whenever D. as long
94. She finished her own task _____ her boyfriend did.
A. as B. like C. just like D. as if
95. He had no sooner finished his speech _____ he withdrew.
A. then B. and C. than D. when
96. I still want more _____ I have eaten a lot.
A. whatever B. wherever C. despite of D. even though
97. Things have changed a lot _____ I wrote to you last time.
A. when B. since C. as D. before
98. I dont know why he suddenly gave up that decent job, _____ his parents.
A. so do B. so did C. nor do D. nor did
99. Hardly _____ the bus stop _____ the bus arrived.
A. we had got to … when
B. we had got to … then
C. had we got to … than
D. had we got to … when
100.Only when you have acquired a good knowledge of grammar _____ write correctly.
A. you will B. you can
C. can you D. cant you
101.He made it plain _____ he was annoyed with me.
A. that B. what C. which D. whether
102.I smell something _____.
A. to burn B. burning C. burn D. to be burned
103.If you see her, please give my apologies _____ not having written to him.
A. about B. on C. for D. at
104.I bought a dozen eggs, six _____ broke when I dropped the box at my door.
A. from which B. in which
C. of which D. among which
105.I was very busy that day. Otherwise I _____ part in the discussion.
A. would take B. had taken
C. took D. would have taken
106._____ the children to bed, she began to correct the students papers.
A. Sending B. Having been sent
C. Sent D. Having sent
107.Meet me at the same place _____ you did yesterday.
A. that B. what C. which D. as
108.It was _____ I met Mr. Smith in London.
A. many years since B. many years ago that
C. for many years since D. since many years ago when
109.Do you think the repair _____ by the end of the month?
A. will have certainly been finished
B. certainly will have been finished
C. will have been finished certainly
D. will certainly have been finished
110.The weather is _____ hot that we cant walk _____ far.
A. that; so B. very; much
C. so; that D. much; very
111.For a whole night she _____ buried in the snow.
A. lay B. laid C. lain D. lied
112.Suddenly she turned and _____ Xiao Hu.
A. came in sight B. caught sight of
C. was at first sight D. was out of sight
113.If my lawyer _____ here last Saturday, he _____ me from going.
A. had been; would have prevented
B. had been; would prevent
C. were; would prevent
D. were; would have prevented
114.I objected _____ the meeting without him.
A. to have B. to having C. having D. have
115.After two months they _____ in the countryside.
A. used to live B. got used to live
C. used to living D. got used to living
116.I dont remember _____ a chance to try this method.
A. to have been given B. to have given
C. having given D. having been given
117.I was so busy that I forgot _____ the Great Wall.
A. visiting B. being visited
C. to visit D. to be visited
118.Please remind me of it again this evening _____ I forget.
A. in case B. in case of
C. in any case D. in no case
119.I would rather _____ with you.
A. not to go B. to not go
C. to go D. not go
120.Dont smoke in the meeting room, _____?
A. do you B. will you
C. can you D. could you
121._____ the day went on, the weather got worse.
A. With B. Since C. While D. As
122._____ of them knew about the plan because it was kept a secret.
A. Each B. Any C. No one D. None
123.The hostess requested that he _____ a seat.
A. took B. takes C. take D. will take
124.I would rather you _____ good to him.
A. do B. will do C. has done D. did
125.In the dark street, there wasnt a single person _____ she could turn for help.
A. that B. who C. from whom D. to whom