【Brief Introduction 简介】
在日常生活中,邀请别人和应邀都是很常遇到的事。如果想邀别人出去,首先一定要问对方有没有空,例如要问“你今晚有空吗?”,就说“Are you free tonight?”。如果要问人有没有空做某事,例如要问“你有没有空打网球?”,就说“Do you have time to play tennis?”。注意time前面不可加冠词,如果说“Do you have the time?”,意思就成了“现在几点钟?”,和“What time is it?”相同了。
【Basic Expressions 基本句型表达】
Making an invitation 邀请
● I would like to invite you to a party next Sunday.
我想邀请你参加下星期天的宴会。
● Would you like to have lunch with me?
你愿意跟我一起用午餐吗?
● I’ll stand for your lunch.
我请你吃午饭。
● We’re going to have a cocktail party on Friday afternoon.
我们星期五下午要举行鸡尾酒会。
● I hope you can join us.
我希望你能加入我们。
● How about coming to my home tomorrow?
明天到我家来如何?
● Will you be here tonight?
你今晚会在这里吗?
● Could you come over and see me?
你能来看我吗?
● Would you like to visit our office sometime?
你要不要找个时间来我们办公室?
● Would you care to be my guest?
你愿意接受我的款待吗?
● She put on a gala reception party.
她举行了一项欢迎会。
● I’m going to throw a party for all of you.
我要为你们全体举行宴会。
● We’ll give a party for her on her birthday.
我们要在她的生日为她举行宴会。
● Don’t forget to bring your wife.
别忘了带你太太来。
● Just come in your casuals.
只要穿便服来就行了。
● What time can I expect you?
你什么时候能来?
Responding positively 肯定的回答
● Thank you for your invitation. I’d be glad to come.
谢谢你的邀请,我会很高兴来的。
● I’d be delighted.
我会很高兴来的。
● I’d like that very much.
我非常高兴参加。
● Of course I’ll come.
我当然会来。
● Sounds wonderful.
太好了。
● It’s very nice of you to ask me.
你真好,能请我去。
● It’s nice of you to invite me.
你能邀请我真好。
● I’ll come around later tonight.
我今晚会过来。
● I will call on you in a week.
我一周之内会拜访你。
Responding negatively 否定的回答
● I’m sorry, but I have a class at that time.
很抱歉,那个时间我有课。
● I’m awfully sorry, but I have to go to Shanghai on business next week.
实在很抱歉,我下星期要到上海出差。
● I really like to go, but I have a dental appointment tomorrow afternoon.
我实在很想去,但我明天下午有牙医有约。
● I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I have to go to a meeting Tuesday night.
我很愿意去,但恐怕星期二晚上我得去开会。
● Oh, I’m sorry. We’d love to come, but we’ve already made plans for that evening.
哦,抱歉。我们很愿意去,但那天晚上我们已经作好计划了。
● Thank you. I’d like to, but I already have a date for Saturday night.
谢谢你。我是很想去,但是星期六晚上我已经有约会了。
● I’m sorry, but I have another engagement.
抱歉,我另外已经有约会了。
● I’m awfully sorry. We have previous plans.
实在很对不起,我们事先已有计划了。
● I’d love to, but I’m afraid I have a previous engagement.
我很愿意去,但恐怕已跟别人事先有约。
● I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to make it that day.
抱歉,我那一天不能去。
At the invitation 赴邀
● It’s a lovely party. I’m glad I came.
这是个很可爱的宴会,我很高兴我来了。
● How many are there in your party?
你们的宴会有多少人?
● Well, it’s been so long since we’ve done this together.
哦,自从我们在一起做这事到现在,已经很久了。
● You’ve come at the right time.
你来得正是时候。
● I’m glad you’ve made it.
我很高兴你做到了。
● You couldn’t have come at a more convenient time.
你来得再恰当也不过了。
● Did you have any trouble getting here?
你到这里来有没有碰到什么麻烦?
● May I take your coat?
我帮你拿外套好吗?
● I hope you feel at home here.
我希望你在这儿觉得自在。
● Please sit down and make yourself at home.
请坐,不要拘束。
● Let’s have fun tonight.
今晚让我们乐一乐。
● I’ll get you something to eat.
我给你弄点吃的。
● We have a small gift for you. It isn’t much but we hope you like it.
我们有一个小礼物给你。不算什么,但是我们希望你喜欢。
● Please help yourself to whatever you’d like.
请自己取用所喜欢吃的。
● Please try some of this homemade bread.
请尝尝这自己做的麦包。
● I’ll probably pig out.
我快撑死了。
● Please be my guest. I am at your service.
请接受我的款待。我随时为你服务。
【Conversations会话】
Dialogue 1
A: The nineteenth of June is my birthday. I’m planning to have a small party. Could you come?
六月十九日是我的生日。我正计划举行一个小型的聚会。你能参加吗?
B: Happy birthday to you! I’d really love to come, but I’m not sure right now. I’ll try to make it. Thank you for your invitation.
预祝你生日快乐!我实在很想参加,但现在还不能确定,我会尽量参加。谢谢你的邀请。
Dialogue 2
A: Are you free tomorrow night?
你明晚有空吗?
B: Yes, I am.
是的,我有空。
A: Shall we have dinner together?
要不要我们一起吃晚饭?
B: Do you have a special restaurant in mind?
你想到哪家特别的餐厅了吗?
A: Yes, I do. I know a place that has excellent food.
是的,我知道一个地方的菜棒极了。
B: O.K. I’ll be happy to join you.
好的。我会很高兴和你一起吃。
Dialogue 3
A: Would you like to come to our factory for a visit?
您愿意到我们厂来参观吗?
B: Oh, yes. Thank you. I’d be glad to.
哦,谢谢。我很愿意。
A: You can look around our new workshops and the automatic machines.
您可以参观我们的新车间和自动化机械。
B: I’m sure the output of your production will increase a lot.
我确信你们的生产产量将会大大增加。
A: Yes. Our factory director wants to meet you and talk over somethings about the business.
是的。我们厂长要见您,并和您商议一些业务上的事情。
【Key Words and Notes 关键词和注释】
1. invite vt. 邀请
2. stand for 代表,代替 stand for one’s lunch 请某人吃午饭(代替某人付钱)
3. concert n. 音乐会
4. go fishing 去钓鱼
5. treat vt. 宴请,款待
6. dinner n. 正餐(一般指晚饭)
7. cocktail party 鸡尾酒会
8. get in touch with 跟…联系
9. come around 随兴来访
10. call on 拜访
11. come over 过来
12. on one’s way 在路上,在途中
13. previous a. 在前的,较早的
14. engagement n. 约会
15. gala a. 欢庆的
16. reception n. 招待会
17. throw vt. 举行(宴会)
18. casual n. 便服
19. convenient a. 便利的,方便的
20. have trouble (in) doing sth. 做某事有麻烦
21. relax vi. 放松
22. mess n. 混乱
23. bother vt. 困扰,打扰
24. make oneself at home 不要拘束
25. impose on(upon) 占…的便宜,利用
26. help oneself to … 自己取用…
27. roll n. 小圆麦包
28. pig vi. 贪婪地吃
29. individual a. 单独的
30. for the asking 只要申请(要求)
31. at one’s service 随时提供服务
32. set a table 摆餐桌;准备用餐
33. salad n. 沙拉,凉菜
34. be used to 习惯
35. see one off 为某人送行
36. have … in mind 考虑
37. talk over 商量
【Alternative Exercises 替换练习】
1. Would you like to have lunch with me?
I would like to have lunch with you.
I’d like to stand for your lunch.
你愿意和我一起吃午饭吗?
2. I’m glad you’ve come.
You’ve come at the right time
You couldn’t have come at a more convenient time
我很高兴你来了。
你来得正是时候。
3. Please relax.
Please make yourself at home.
I hope you feel at home here.
请放松一些。
请当作自己家里一样。
我希望你觉得这里像你家里。
【Brief Introduction 简介】
道别的用语分为结束谈话,正式道别,和祝愿三类。在东方,常常有主人热情挽留客人的传统。但在西方的传统中。当客人委婉的表示离开的意思时,主人不宜强留,否则会给人带来不便或误会,这时一般说“Hope to see you again.”(欢迎下次再来)。
【Basic Expressions 基本句型表达】
Closing a conversation 结束谈话
● I think I’d better leave now. It’s getting late.
我想现在我该走了。天色已晚了。
● I’m afraid I must be leaving now. I have taken up a lot of your time.
我恐怕现在必须离开了。我已经占用你许多时间了。
● I’ll have to be going now. Thank you very much for your entertainment.
我现在得走了。非常感谢你的款待。
● I must be off now.
我现在必须离开了。
● Nice talking to you.
跟你谈话真好。
● I’m sorry I took up too much of your time.
抱歉,占用你太多的时间。
● Well, I guess I’d better be leaving.
嗯,我想我最好是离开。
● Well, I must say goodbye.
嗯,我必须说再见了。
● I’m afraid I’ve overstayed my welcome.
我恐怕呆太久了?
● I really have to run.
我真的必须赶时间。
● Well, drop in again when you have time.
嗯,有时间的话,再来玩。
● I had a good time.
我玩得很愉快。
● I really had a pleasant evening.
我真的度过了一个愉快的晚上。
● It was a very nice party.
这真是一个美好的宴会。
Saying goodbye 说再见
● Goodbye.
再见。
● Bye.
再见。
● See you later.
再见。
● See you.
再见。
● So long.
再见。
● Good night.
晚安。
Good wishes (分别时)祝愿
● Bon voyage.
一路顺风。
● Hope to see you next time.
希望下次再见到你。
● Hope you have a nice trip.
祝你旅途愉快。
● Have a pleasant journey.
祝你旅途愉快。
● I wish you a pleasant journey.
祝你一路顺风。
● Safe landing.
祝你一路顺风。
● Give my best regards to your father.
请代我向你父亲致意。
【Conversations会话】
Dialogue 1
A: Well, I must be off now. I have an appointment at six.
嗯,我现在得离开了。我六点有个约会。
B: In that case, I won’t keep you any longer. Drop in any time.
如果是那样的话,我不再挽留你了。(欢迎)随时到我这里来。
A: OK. Goodbye.
我会的。再见。
B: See you later.
再见。
Dialogue 2
A: I just dropped in to say goodbye.
我到这里来是跟你告别的。
B: What time are you leaving?
你什么时间出发?
A: I’ll leave at 10 o’clock.
我10点钟走。
B: Take care and give my best to your parents.
保重。代我问候你的父母。
A: Thank you, I will. Hope to see you again next year.
谢谢,我会的。希望明年可以再见到你。
Dialogue 3
A: Thank you for coming to see me off.
多谢你来送行。
B: Not at all.
不用客气。
A: If I have time, I’ll come again.
如果我有时间,我会再来的。
B: You’re welcome at any time.
随时欢迎你回来。
A: Thank you for your hospitality. I hope I didn’t cause you too much trouble during my stay.
多谢你招待。在我居留期间,但愿不致打扰。
B: You’re most welcome.
不要客气。
A: I’m afraid I have to go now. The plane will take off soon.
我恐怕现在要走了。飞机快要起飞了。
B: Call us as soon as you get home.
你一回到家里就打电话给我们。
A: Certainly.
一定。
【Key Words and Notes 关键词和注释】
1. I’d better = I had better 我最好…
2. take up 占用(时间等)
3. valuable a. 宝贵的
4. entertainment n. 款待,娱乐
5. drop in 顺便走访,(不经预约的)拜访
6. have a good time 过得快乐
7. in a hurry 匆忙
8. Don’t bother to … 不必费事做…了
9. So long. 意为“就这样,再见”,是美国俚语。
10. Bon voyage. 意为“一路顺风”,源自法语。
11. trip n. (短途)旅行,远足
12. journey n. 旅行
13. landing n. 着陆
14. in that case 如果是那样的话
15. not any longer 不再
16. see off 送行
17. hospitality n. 盛情款待
【Alternative Exercises 替换练习】
1. I’m afraid I must be leaving now.
I think I’d better leave now.
I guess I’d better be leaving.
I really have to leave now.
I must leave now.
我恐怕现在得走了。
2. Hope to see you again.
next time
later
希望再见到你。
3. Goodbye, Peter.
Bye
See you later
So long
Good night
再见,彼得。
晚安
4. I wish you a pleasant journey, Tom.
Hope you have a nice journey
Have a nice journey
Safe landing
旅途愉快,汤姆。
一路顺风
【Brief Introduction 简介】
问路是每一个出门在外的人都会遇到的事。无论在东方还是西方,问路都应该有礼貌。用英语问路的第一句一般都是“Excuse me.”之类的话。注意句型“Could you tell me the way to the zoo?”里面的could并不表示过去式,而是一种比“Can you tell me the way to the zoo?”更有礼貌的委婉说法。同样的词还有would。
【Basic Expressions 基本句型表达】
Asking directions 问路
● Excuse me. /Pardon me.
打扰一下。
● Can you tell me the way to Spring Street?
你能告诉我去春天大街的路么?
● Can I take a bus to get there?
我可以坐公共汽车到那里吗?
● Could you tell me which bus goes to the Beijing Zoo?
你能告诉我哪辆公共汽车到北京动物园吗?
● Could you tell me where to change/where I should transfer?
你能告诉我哪里换车吗?
● Could/Would you tell me how to get to the post office?
你能告诉我到邮局该怎么走吗?
● Could you tell me where the post office is?
你能告诉我邮局在哪里吗?
● Would you please tell me whether I’m going the right way to the post office?
你能告诉我往邮局是否走对了吗?
● Which way is the Beijing Zoo?
到北京动物园怎么走?
● How do I get to the Beijing Zoo?
到北京动物园怎么走?
● How can I find this address?
请问这个地址怎么找?
● Does this bus go to the Beijing Zoo?
这辆公共汽车到北京动物园吗?
● How long does it take to walk there?
走到那里要多长时间呢?
● I wonder if you could tell me where the railway station is.
不知你能否告诉我火车站在哪里。
● I wonder if you could help me. I’m looking for the nearest post office.
不知你能不能帮助我。我在寻找最近的邮局。
● Would you be kind enough to tell me the right way to the Commercial Building?
好心人你能告诉我到商业大厦怎么走吗?
● Do you know a souvenir shop around here?
你知道附近有没有纪念品店吗?
● Where can I get a Taxi?
我可以在哪里打到的士?
● How far is it to the nearest post office?
到最近的邮局有多远?
Responding negatively 否定的回答
● Sorry, I’m not sure where it is.
对不起,我不能确定它在哪里。
● Sorry, I don’t know.
对不起,我不知道。
● I really can’t remember.
我真的不记得了。
● I’m sorry, I’m afraid I can’t help you.
对不起,我恐怕爱莫能助了。
● Sorry, I’m new here myself.
对不起,我自己也是初到这个地方。
Responding positively 肯定的回答
● Go straight on (ahead).
往前直走。
● Follow your nose.
往前直走。
● Take this road.
走这条路。
● Turn right (left).
往右(左)拐。
● Turn around.
往后走。
● Turn right at the traffic light.
在红绿灯处往右拐。
● It's just around the corner.
它就在拐角处附近。
● It’s on the right hand side.
它在(街道的)右边。
● It’s about three blocks from here.
它离这里大约三个街区。
● It’s about a five-minute walk from here.
它离这里走路需约5分钟。
● It’s only a short distance from here.
它离这里只要一小段路。
● Take Bus No. 21 and it will take you right there.
坐21路公共汽车,它会带你到那里。
● You could take a 17 and get off at the theatre and change to the 65.
你可以坐17路(公共汽车),在电影院下车,换乘65路。
● Walk two blocks, and turn left when you see the traffic light.
走过两个街区,在你看到红绿灯时往左拐。
● Take the second turning on the left and go straight on.
见到第二条横马路向左拐,然后一直往前走。
● Walk down this road, take the second turning on the right.
沿着这条路往前走,见到第二条横马路往右拐。
● Turn round and turn left at the traffic lights, and then ask again.
往后走,在红绿灯处往左拐,然后再问一下别人。
● You can take the bus and get off at the second stop.
你可以坐这辆公共汽车,然后在第二站下车。
● Go straight ahead and turn left at the second crossing.
往前直走,然后在第二个十字路口往左拐。
● Go on for about 100 meters. It's on your left side.
直走约
● It's Room 201 on the second floor.
它在2楼201房间。
● Oh, you’re going the wrong way.
哦,你走错了。
● You can't miss it.
你不会走错的。
● You’ve got it.
你会找到它的。
● I’ve got a map showing the way to there.
我有张表明到那里的路线的地图。
Asking for repetition 请求重复
● Pardon?
对不起(可以再说一遍吗)?
● Pardon me?
请原谅(可以再说一遍吗)?
● I beg your pardon?
请原谅(可以再说一遍吗)?
● Sorry?
对不起(可以再说一遍吗)?
● Would you repeat that?
你可以重述它吗
● Would you say it again?
你可以重述它吗?
● Would you mind repeating what you said?
你会介意重述一遍你所说的话吗?
Confirming and correcting 确认与指正
● I see. Straight to the corner. Left and then right.
我明白了。直走到拐角。向左拐,然后向右拐。
● I see. Straight to the corner. Left until I come to the end of the block and then right.
我明白了。直走到拐角。向左拐,然后走到街区的尽头再往右拐。
● That’s it/right/ correct
对。
● No, you turn right and then left.
不,你先往右拐,然后左拐。
【Conversations会话】
Dialogue 1
A: Excuse me, which way is to the post office?
打扰一下,请问到邮局怎么走?
B: The post office? Sorry, I’m not sure.
邮局?对不起,我不能确定。
A: Well, thanks anyway.
哦,还是要谢谢你。
Dialogue 2
A: Excuse me, can you tell me where
对不起,你能告诉我主街在哪里吗?
B: Turn left at the second light and then go straight for two blocks.
在第二个路灯处左拐,然后直走两个街区。
A: Is it far?
它很远吗?
B: No. It's only a five-minute walk. You can’t miss it.
不,走路只需五分钟。你不会错过的。
A: Thanks a lot.
太感谢了。
B: You're welcome.
没什么。
Dialogue 3
A: Excuse me, where is the Beijing Railway Station?
对不起,请问北京火车站在哪里?
B: You can take the subway to get there.
你可以坐地铁到那里。
A: How long will it take to get there?
要多久才能到那里?
B: It takes only ten minutes.
只需10分钟。
A: May I take a bus or a taxi to get there?
我可以坐公共汽车或打的到那里吗?
B: You can take No. 1 bus or a taxi.
你可以乘1路公共汽车或的士。
A: Excuse me, sir. Where is the No. 1 bus stop?
先生,请问1路公共汽车在哪里?
B: Please turn right at the traffic lights.
请到红绿灯处向右拐。
A: Thank you very much.
非常感谢。
B: You’re welcome.
没什么。
【Key Words and Notes 关键词和注释】
1. Excuse me.是问路的常用开头语,也常用于其它可能会打扰他人的场合。Pardon me.没有前者常用。
2. take a bus 坐公共汽车
3. change v. 改变,换车
4. transfer vi. 转移,换车
5. post office 邮局
6. whether conj. 是否
7. how long 多长时间
8. the railway station 火车站
9. the Commercial Building 商业大厦
10. shortcut n. 捷径
11. souvenir n. 纪念品
12. how far 多远
13. I’m afraid … 我恐怕…
14. Thanks anyway. 无论如何要谢谢你。(用于别人没有帮上忙的时候。)
15. straight adv. 笔直
16. Follow your nose. 往前直走。(是美国俚语。)
17. corner n. (街道)拐角
18. block n. 街区
19. theatre n. 电影院
20. the traffic light 红绿灯
21. get on 上车
22. get off 下车
23. the second floor 二楼
24. You can’t miss it. 你不会错过的。
25. Pardon? 是请求别人重复的常用语。常用的还有Sorry?
26. Would you mind doing something? 你会介意做某事吗?
27. I see. 我明白了。
28. That’s it. = That’s right. = That’s correct. 对了。类似的句型还有That’s all.(这就是全部。)
29. subway n. 地铁
30. taxi n. 的士
31. bus stop 公共汽车站
【Alternative Exercises 替换练习】
1. Excuse me, could you tell me the way to the
Pardon me how to get to the Beijing Zoo
where the Beijing Zoo is
which bus goes to the Beijing Zoo
if this is the right way to the Beijing Zoo
对不起,你能告诉我怎么去北京动物园吗?
北京动物园在哪里
哪路公共汽车到北京动物园
这条路到北京动物园
2. It’s about three blocks from here.
a five-minute walk
one and a half miles
离这里大约三个街区。
五分钟行程
1.5英里
3. Go straight down this street to the end of the block. It’s on the corner on your left.
two blocks to
沿这条街一直走到这个街区的尽头。 它在拐角的左边。
一直走两个街区到北京路 在街区的中间
4. It’s on the left next to the drugstore.
on the right next to
just before
just past
opposite to
它在药店的左边。
右边
过一点点
对面
5. You can’t miss it.
You’ll see it
你不会错过的。
