国务院关于淮河流域水污染防治规划及“九五”计划的批复 REPLY OF THE STATE COUNCIL TO THE PROGRAMME FOR PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF WATER POLLUTION AND THE NINTH-FIVE-YEAR PLAN OF THE HUAIHE RIVER VALLEY
（June 29， 1996）
颁布日期：19960629 实施日期：19960629 颁布单位：国务院
The Application for Approval of the Programme for Prevention and Control of Water Pollution and the Ninth-Five-Year Plan of the Huaihe River Valley jointly submitted by the State Administration for Environmental Protection， the State Planning Commission and the Ministry of Water Resources has been received and is hereby replied to as following：
1. The Programme for Prevention and Control of Water Pollution and the Ninth-Five-Year-Plan of the Huaihe River Valley （hereinafter abbreviated to the Programme and the Plan） has been approved in principle. You are instructed to include them as priorities in Ninth-Five-Year Plans， conscientiously organize their implementation and gradually make them perfect during the course of practice.
2. The Programme and the Plan provides an important basis for water resource protection and water pollution prevention and control in the Huaihe River Valley. Economic construction activities within the valley shall conform with prescriptions of the Programme and the Plan. The people's governments of the four provinces of Henan， Anhui， Jiangsuand Shandong （hereinafter referred to as the four provinces for short） and the relevant departments shall according to stipulations of the Programme and the Plan formulate at the soonest possible time local programmes and their implementation plans for prevention and control of water pollution in the areas of Huaihe River valley under their respective provincial or departmental jurisdiction. They shall lose no time in making preparations， lay stress on key projects and through the procedures governing examination and approval of infrastructure construction and technology renovation projects， list those projects， in groups and by stages， in regional， departmental or national ninth-five-year plans for national economy and social development or their annual plan for their execution so that the year 1997 could see the pollutants discharge from industrial pollution sources within the whole valley being restricted to standards and the year 2000 could see the realization of the goal of making Huaihe River cleared.
3. The objectives of control over maximum pollutants discharge in the Huaihe River valley laid down in the Programme and Plan has been agreed to. In 1997， the permitted maximum discharge of chemical oxygen demands （hereinafter abbreviated to COC） in the whole valley shall be 890，200 tons， of which 247，200 tons is allocated for Henan，207，700 tons for Anhui， 171，500 tons for Jiangsu and 263，800 tons for Shandong. In the year 2000， the permitted maximum discharge of COD in the whole valley shall be 368，000 tons， of which 127，400 tons is permitted in Henan， 77，000 tons in Anhui， 98，900 tons in Jiangsu， and 64，700 tons in Shandong.
4. The division of the Huaihe River Valley into seven control zones with 34 control districts， which are further divided into 100 sub-districts， as laid down in the Programme and the Plan， is accepted.
Stipulations of the Programme and the Plan are agreed to regarding water quality requirements in terms of 82 water quality control sections； sewage discharge restraints on different trades prescribed by state-set standards on discharge of water-polluting wastes； permitted maximum discharge of COD from major cities and towns situated above control sections； permitted maximum discharge of COD from major discharging channels， minimum requirements for reduction of sewage discharge in a stage by stage manner by different provinces， cities and counties， and targets for superseding backward industrial equipment.
Water quality of Huaihe River Valley within the jurisdiction of the four provinces shall respectively meet water quality standards for provincial boundaries.
5. The Programme and the Plan recommends about 303 optional projects for prevention and control of water pollution， which asks for totally RMB 16.6 billion yuan. Funds shall be raised by various channels and from different sources following the principle that whoever discharges pollutants shall be held responsible for its control. Unremitting efforts shall be made to raise the efficiency of use of funds for prevention and control of pollution. The four provincial people's governments shall organize project undertaking units to go through the procedures of application， assessment， examination for approval and loan arrangements so that investments plan could be carried out by stages. For those water pollution prevention and control projects that have been covered by annual plans， the four provincial people's governments， the relevant departments of the state Council and concerned enterprises shall ensure for the injection of funds according to schedules. The State Planning Commission， the State Commission for Economy and Trade and other relevant departments shall strengthen instruction and urging in this regard.
6. The four provincial people's governments shall， according to prescriptions of the Programme and the Plan， closely attend to the formulation of provincial plans on installation， by stages， of facilities for disposal of polluted water and drainage pipes and networks in major cities and towns situated in the Huaihe River Valley， and shall closely attend to the work of construction.
To establish a construction and operation mechanism for city and township sewage disposal facilities， trial levy of fees for sewage disposal in cities and towns may be conducted. The fees so collected shall be specially used for the construction and operation of sewage disposal facilities in Huaihe River Valley， and may not be embezzled for other uses. The pilot cities selected for such trial shall be determined by the Construction Ministry， the State Administration for Environmental Protection， jointly with the State Planning Commission and the Financial Ministry. Procedures governing levy of the fees shall be formulated by the Financial Ministry in cooperation with the State Planning commission and the State Administration for Environmental Protection， who shall closely attend to the matter and promulgate such procedures before September 30， 1996 for implementation by the four provinces.
7. People's governments at different levels of the four provinces shall speed up transformation of industrial structure， urge clean production and stringently restrain occurrence of new pollution sources. They shall， according to the Interim Regulations on the Prevention and Control of Water Pollution in the Huaihe River Valley （hereinafter referred to as the Interim Regulations for short） and the Programme and the Plan， adopt measures such as “close down， suspend， ban， transform or convert” and restriction of production or discharge and shall set a deadline for industrial enterprises （and countryside and township enterprises also） to bring pollution sources under control.
Relevant departments of the State Council shall lose no time in determining and publicizing a list of lines and products banned or rigorously restricted in Huaihe River Valley， and shall take the initiative in cooperating with the four provinces to develop， apply and expand pragmatic technologies for water pollution prevention and control.
8. The people's governments of the four provinces shall strengthen leadership over the work of water pollution prevention and control. Administrative departments in charge of environmental protection shall strengthen supervision over enforcement of environmental laws and regulations， strictly comply with the environmental impact assessment system and the “three-stage simultaneous” requirement. The Leading Group for Protecting Water Resources within the Huaihe River Valley shall make prompt coordination， solve key problems concerning the protection of water resources and prevention and control of water pollution in the Huaihe River Valley， facilitate research and construction of a monitoring system for prevention and control of water pollution， index system for monitoring control of pollution， and shall strengthen supervision and inspection.
The people's governments of the four provinces and the relevant departments under the State Council shall closely cooperate and unite with each other in control of pollution， comply with stipulations of the Interim Regulations and the Programme and the Plan， and jointly do a find job in the prevention and control of water pollution in the Huaihe River Valley.