1.Please do not be ____ by his bad manners since he is merely trying to attract attention.
[A] disregarded [B] distorted
[C] irritated [D] intervened
2. Craig assured his boss that he would ____ all his energies in doing this new job.
[A] call forth [B] call at
[C] call on [D] call off
3. Too much ____ to X-rays can cause skin burns， cancer or other damage to the body.
[A] disclosure [B] exhibition
[C] contact [D] exposure
4. When confronted with such questions， my mind goes ____， and I can hardly remember my own date of birth.
[A] dim [B] blank
[C] faint [D] vain
5. It is well known that knowledge is the ____ condition for expansion of mind.
[A] incompatible [B] incredible
[C] indefinite [D] indispensable
6. Language， culture， and personality may be considered ____ of each other in thought， but they are inseparable in fact.
[A] indistinctly [B] separately
[C] irrelevantly [D] independently
7. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn， the Irish milkmaid fought hard to ____ her laughter.
[A] hold back [B] hold on
[C] hold out [D] hold up
8. The manager gave one of the salesgirls an accusing look for her ____ attitude toward customers.
[A] impartial [B] mild
[C] hostile [D] opposing
9. I ____ with thanks the help of my colleagues in the preparation of this new column.
[A] express [B] confess
[C] verify [D] acknowledge
10. It is strictly ____ that access to confidential documents is denied to all but a few.
[A] secured [B] forbidden
[C] regulated [D] determined
11. The pollution question as well as several other issues is going to be discussed when the Congress is in ____ again next spring.
[A] assembly [B] session
[C] conference [D] convention
12. Christmas is a Christian holy day usually celebrated on December 25th ____ the birth of Jesus Christ.
[A] in accordance with [B] in terms of
[C] in favor of [D] in honor of
13. Since it is too late to change my mind now， I am ____ to carrying out the plan.
[A] obliged [B] committed
[C] engaged [D] resolved
14. It was a bold idea to build a power station in the deep valley， but it ____ as well as we had hoped.
[A] came off [B] went off
[C] brought out [D] make out
15. To survive in the intense trade competition between countries， we must ____ the qualities and varieties of products we make to the world-market demand.
[A] improve [B] enhance
[C] guarantee [D] gear
16. He left early on the ____ that he had a bad toothache and had to see the dentist.
[A] prescription [B] pretext
[C] knowledge [D] precondition
17. The new edition of the encyclopedia ____ many improvements， which is the result of the persistent effort of all the compilers.
[A] embedded [B] embodied
[C] enchanted [D] enclosed
18. The boys and girls ____ together round the camp fire telling stories and singing songs.
[A] reversed [B] clapped
[C] clustered [D] contracted
19. The new underground railway will ____ the journey to all parts of the city.
[A] consume [B] eliminate
[C] formulate [D] facilitate
20. The speaker attracted the audience at the very beginning of the lecture by giving a ____ description of his personal experience.
[A] global [B] gracious
[C] graphic [D] prescriptive
21. It is up to the government to ____ the rights of individual citizens.
[A] withdraw [B] withhold
[C] upgrade [D] uphold
22. The notice about the English evening ____ many students who have interest in English.
[A] impelled [B] intrigued
[C] provoked [D] induced
23. The leader went his own way in ____ of the public opinion， which aroused great anger among the people.
[A] defiance [B] reflection
[C] obedience [D] observation
24. Could you just give me a hand？ Let's ____ the car into motion； it got a flameout just now.
[A] shove [B] nudge
[C] prompt [D] poke
25. The river was ____ with waste from that factory. Some measures must be taken to stop its production.
[A] corrupted [B] consumed
[C] contaminated [D] infected
26. Poverty is not ____ in most cities although， perhaps because of the crowded conditions in certain areas， it is more visible there.
[A] rare [B] temporary
[C] prevalent [D] segmental
27. People who live in small towns often seem more friendly than those living in ____ populated areas.
[A] densely [B] intensely
[C] abundantly [D] highly
28. As a way of ____ the mails while they were away， the Johnsons asked the cleaning lady to send little printed slips asking the senders to write again later.
[A] picking up [B] coping with
[C] passing out [D] getting across
29. Tom's mother tried hard to persuade him to ____ from his intention to invest his savings in stock market.
[A] pull out [B] give up
[C] draw in [D] back down
30. An increasing proportion of our population， unable to live without advanced medical ____， well become progressively more reliant on expensive technology.
[A] interference [B] interruption
[C] intervention [D] interaction
Unit 2 1. Do not ____ yourself； it was not your fault.
[A] retort [B] represent
[C] reproach [D] repress
2. I deem the girl was in a bad health for the handshake with her was so ____.
[A] limp [B] lame
[C] soft [D] strong
3. This new process， which is easily learned and operated， should be particularly ____ to companies once put into effect.
[A] advanced [B] favorite
[C] advantageous [D] admirable
4. This disease ____ itself in yellowness of the skin and eyes.
[A] manifests [B] modifies
[C] magnifies [D] exposes
5. Is there any possible ____ explanation for his bad health since he seems to have no obvious disease？
[A] psychiatric [B] psychological
[C] surgical [D] physical
6. Their ____ building is located next to the park， so it is very convenient for them to have a walk after supper.
[A] residential [B] presidential
[C] conditional [D] accidental
7. The hostess welcomed her guests in a ____ manner， which made all the people present at ease.
[A] spacious [B] suspicious
[C] gracious [D] merciful
8. We should make mental preparation for failure， because there is only a（n） ____ number of possibilities of success.
[A] infinite [B] finite
[C] innumerable [D] numerous
9. ____ the bad weather has delayed the flight， so it would be several hours before they could arrive.
[A] Presumably [B] Respectively
[C] Imaginably [D] Plausibly
10. The baby monkey ____ to its mother all day.
[A] held [B] grasped
[C] stuck [D] clung
11. Seeing the General coming his way， the soldier stopped and gave him a smart ____.
[A] toast [B] salute
[C] tribute [D] solution
12. They send information every week， ____ whether it's useful or not.
[A] in consideration of [B] irrespective of
[C] with the exception of[D] with regard to
13. We had a ____ lesson in ideological education yesterday and were deeply impressed.
[A] profound [B] deep
[C] extreme [D] shallow
14. Did you get any ____ when you are dismissed from your job？
[A] fund [B] loan
[C] bonus [D] compensation
15. Children of poor health are very ____ to colds in winter and should be taken care of particularly.
[A] willing [B] ready
[C] reluctant [D] prone
16. You may not have heard of the ____ poet， but he is very original and creative and I believe he will become well-known someday.
[A] obscure [B] vague
[C] vicious [D] prominent
17. In economic reform in our country， the greatest step is to transform the operational ____ of an state-owned enterprise.
[A] system [B] mechanics
[C] techniques [D] mechanism
18. I know him very well after so many years， now I have no ____ about his ability.
[A] image [B] illusion
[C] imagination [D] ideal
19. Now， with the ____ and popularity of the home computer， its advantages and disadvantages have been a subject of discussion.
[A] adventure [B] advance
[C] advent [D] adult
20. The machine got somewhat eroded， but this oil will ____ it well.
[A] lubricate [B] decorate
[C] extinct [D] illuminate
21. Shakespeare has many great works. Some of them are ____， others are tragedies.
[A] comedians [B] comedies
[C] funs [D] catastrophes
22. She tried to ____ my mind and discover what I was thinking.
[A] examine [B] probe
[C] search [D] inspect
23. Please ＿ the staff that the inspectors will be here on Monday and let them make good preparations.
[A] modify [B] ratify
[C] rectify [D] notify
24. The government built the monument to ____ those who died in the war.
[A] memorize [B] celebrate
[C] lament [D] commemorate
25. Technical innovation is ____ in improving the qualities of products.
[A] instrumental [B] beneficial
[C] important [D] interrelate
26. Please explain your statement. I have no ____ what you are talking about.
[A] contemplation [B] imagination
[C] notion [D] norm
27. A ____ refers to an act or operation to move an organ， piece of skin， hair， etc. from one person or animal to another.
[A] transplantation [B] shift
[C] transformation [D] transmission
28. They ____ evidence and threatened witnesses not to tell the truth to anyone else.
[A]produced [B] fabricated
[C]created [D] manipulated
29. He was ____ on the telephone so I asked him to speak more clearly.
[A]muttering [B] grumbling
[C]groping [D] shuddering
30. All the roads ____ from the center of the town and extend in different directions towards major historical sights.
[A]reflect [B] respond
[C]deflect [D] radiate
Unit 3 1. Travelling on those bad mountain roads is a ____ and I will never risk my life like that from now on.
[A] nightfall [B] darkness
[C] nightmare [D] dream
2. The car ____ the garage door when he was trying to move his car in and caused a minor damage to it.
[A] rubbed [B] contacted
[C] brushed [D] grazed
3. We must severely punish those terrorism who violate the ____ of civilized societies.
[A] notions [B] norms
[C] conceptions [D] behaviors
4. The driver lost all the goods ____ for lack of responsibility and caution.
[A] on purpose [B] in public
[C] in transit [D] in reality
5. He was arrested for using drugs and the ____ publicity mined his career.
[A] continuous [B] resultant
[C] remaining [D] reluctant
6. I failed to go to her wedding because it ____ with my examination.
[A] disagreed [B] clashed
[C] clamped [D] fought
7. The doctor wrote me a ____ for medicine for my cough.
[A] description [B] prescription
[C] prestige [D] contribution
8. A few ____ members of the crowd attacked the vendor who did not give them a good bargain.
[A] military [B] inoffensive
[C] mild [D] militant
9. The village was ____ because of the danger of a flood.
[A] departed [B] removed
[C] emptied [D] evacuated
10. The mass movement for technical ____ is vigorously forging ahead in the factory.
[A] conviction [B] innovation
[C] initiative [D] enactment
11. I heard that there is a unanimous vote at the afternoon meeting. So what is the ____ of opinion？
[A] contract [B] consent
[C] compromise [D] consensus
12. She was so poor at her English that her mother hired a（n） ____ to teach her English at home.
[A] assistant [B] driller
[C] guide [D] tutor
13， ____ he is a very serious and strict scholar， but actually he is not that kind of person at all.
[A] Virtually [B] Seemingly
[C] Decisively [D] Likely
14. The whole nation was in the great impact of the earthquake and the ____ confusion.
[A] consequent [B] related
[C] consumptive [D] conspicuous
15. The pupil was ____ for stealing and cheating in exams several times.
[A] deleted [B] canceled
[C] ousted [D] expelled
16. Economics and politics are best studied together as the two subjects ____.
[A] overlap [B] slash
[C] flap [D] slap
17. Though the model worker is already very old， his rich experience is not to be ____.
[A] denounced [B] discounted
[C] discerned [D] deducted
18. The memory of the accident often ____ to me and makes me upset.
[A] attributes [B] occurs
[C] reclaims [D] recurs
19. The conviction was not made after the trial and was postponed to the next session for the ____ were divided in opinion.
[A] committee [B] judges
[C] judgements [D] jury
20. Records indicate that tortoise can live longer than any other animal with a ____， which forms the axis of skeleton.
[A] skull [B] spine
[C] spin [D] ankle
21. The cupboard door is ____ on the right， so it opens on the left.
[A] tied [B] hinged
[C] depended [D] fastened
22. There need not any introduction. We're already ____ with each other.
[A] known [B] acquainted
[C] heard [D] met
23. The poor child suffered from malnutrition because he was always eating those ____ food.
[A] trash [B] junk
[C] litter [D] rubbish
24. I don't think she is cold-blooded； her tears ____ her grief.
[A] testified [B] judged
[C] accused [D] tolerated
25. The police came and ____ the noisy youths from the cafe room.
[A] drove [B] ejected
[C] abandoned [D] eliminated
26. ____ of them knew about the plan because it was secret.
[A] Some [B] Any
[C] No one [D] None
27. There is very ____ hope that he will survive the car accident.
[A] few [B] a few
[C] much [D] little
28. I have two brothers.One is a scientist； ____ is an artist.
[A] another [B] the other
[C] others [D] the others
29. On Sundays，they often go to ____ to hear music.
[A] a church [B] the church
[C] church [D] some churches
30. Do you have ____ coffee left？
[A] some [B] any
[C] any of [D] a lot
Unit 4 1. He is a（n） ____ and well-behaved child， but his parents worry about him for he talks too little.
[A] obedient [B] transient
[C] conscious [D] passionate
2. He becomes more and more arrogant and his imperative accent ____ me completely.
[A] confuses [B] dispels
[C] compels [D] repels
3. These days I was always dreaming a（n） ____ dream in which I was chased by a horrible demon.
[A] enthusiastic [B] fancy
[C] optimistic [D] fantastic
4. The villagers all signed a ____ asking for a hospital to be built.
[A] bill [B] vote
[C] petition [D] treaty
5. Many traditional Chinese believe that high forehead is ____ of great mental power.
[A] objective [B] indicative
[C] directive [D] decisive
6. For years Blair family ____ the hope of a trip abroad， and it was not realized until recently when they came to China.
[A] nourished [B] nurtured
[C] prospered [D] maintained
7. Their marriage came to an end because they were simply not ____ with each other.
[A] comparable [B] identical
[C] compatible [D] conspicuous
8. There are many outstanding musicians at that time， but he is no doubt the ____ one of his day.
[A] notorious [B] former
[C] fundamental [D] foremost
9. Large price increases could ____ demands for even larger wage increases.
[A] triple [B] trigger
[C] attribute to [D] inject
10. Though you are not well-paid now， it is a job and will bring you great profit in the long run.
[A] promising [B] predictable
[C] encouraging [D] inspiring
11. In this factory the machines are not regulated ____ but are jointly controlled by a central computer system.
[A] independently [B] individually
[C] irrespectively [D] irregularly
12. Every chemical change either results from energy being used to produce the change， or causes energy to be ____ in some form.
[A] given off [B] put out
[C] set off [D] used up
13. If businessmen are taxed too much， they will no longer be motivated to work hard， with the result that incomes from taxation might actually ____.
[A] shrink [B] delay
[C] disperse [D] sink
14. American companies are evolving from mass-production manufacturing to ____ enterprises.
[A] moveable [B] changing
[C] flexible [D] varying
15. If you know what the trouble is， why don't you help them to ____ the situation？
[A] simplify [B] modify
[C] verify [D] rectify
16. I cannot believe she is leaving the company——I thought she was a permanent ____.
[A] fitting [B] fixture
[C] appliance [D] attachment
17. The newspaper said yesterday two trains ____ and led to more than 200 casualties.
[A] smashed [B] crushed
[C] collapsed [D] collided
18. The ____ may laugh at his music， but we know better.
[A] municipality [B] multitude
[C] attitude [D] altitude
19. We must respect others' ____ and should not always pry into others' personal affairs.
[A] isolation [B] attachment
[C] intimacy [D] privacy
20. The two companies are working in ____ with each other to make their products more competitive in the market.
[A] coincidence [B] corporation
[C] ministration [D] collaboration
21. These causes produced the great change in the country that modernized the ____ of higher education from the mid-1860's to the mid-1880's.
[A] branch [B] category
[C] domain [D] scope
22. Nobody yet knows how long and how seriously the ____ in the financial system will drag down the economy.
[A] shallowness [B] shakiness
[C] scantiness [D] stiffness
23. Crisis would be the right term to describe the ____ in many animal species.
[A] minimization [B] restriction
[C] descent [D] decline
24. The city is an important railroad ____ and industrial and convention center.
[A] conjunction [B] network
[C] junction [D] link
25. Prof. White， my respected tutor， frequently reminds me to ____ myself of every chance to improve my English.
[A] assure [B] inform
[C] avail [D] notify
26. The professor's questions ____ me completely because I couldn't answer any of them.
[A] crumpled [B] enlightened
[C] baffled [D] intimidated
27. The other day when I sat on the lawn thinking about my university days， the sudden hoot of a whistle my thoughts.
[A] broke up [B] broke into
[C] plunge into [D] inserted into
28. The bump on the right side of her cheek spoilt the ____ of her face.
[A] impulse [B] dignity
[C] temperament [D] symmetry
29. The basketball players in the national team tried to keep themselves ____ in order to defeat their opponent.
[A] on duty [B] on watch
[C] in shape [D] in time
30. A book had been stolen and some children claimed that Tom did it， but Tom's mother said she was sure her son was ____.
[A] innocent [B] superstitious
[C] elegant [D] suspicious
Unit 5 1. There seems to be little ____ of fulfilling the sales program of this year.
[A] consumption [B] presumption
[C] probability [D] assessment
2. The recent oil price rise ____ the difficulties which the motor industry is now facing.
[A] testifies [B] implies
[C] enumerates [D] exemplifies
3. The students are expecting the arrival of a（n） ____ scientist who they heard of in their childhood.
[A] eligible [B] imminent
[C] productive [D] eminent
4. The region is undergoing a peaceful ____ from colonial rule to self-government.
[A] transfer [B] transformation
[C] evolution [D] transition
5. Some workers were not satisfied with their salaries and often ____ at it.
[A] groaned [B] murmured
[C] whispered [D] cracked
6. An important property of a scientific theory is its ability to ____ further research and further thinking about a particular topic.
[A] stimulate [B] renovate
[C] arouse [D] advocate
7. Although architecture has artistic qualities， it must also satisfy a number of important practical ____.
[A] obligations [B] regulations
[C] observations [D] considerations
8. Life insurance is financial protection for dependents against loss ____ the bread-winner's death.
[A] at the cost of [B] on the verge of
[C] as a result of [D] for the sake of
9. In education there should be a good ____ among the branches of knowledge that contribute to effective thinking and wise judgment.
[A] distribution [B] balance
[C] combination [D] assignment
10. The American dream is most ____ during the periods of productivity and wealth generated by American capitalism.
[A] plausible [B] patriotic
[C] primitive [D] partial
11. Only when the police ____ her with evidence did she admit that she had stolen the money.
[A] constrained [B] confronted
[C] opposed [D] encountered
12. After much questioning among the people concerned， the headmaster at last ____ the truth about the incident.
[A] induced [B] employed
[C] elicited [D] deduced
13. At the ____ where accidents are most likely to take place， the trains always travel at a moderate speed.
[A] seminars [B] sectors
[C] regions [D] compartments
14. All these young men participated in a （n） ____ to find the beginning of the Changjiang River.
[A] exile [B] excerpt
[C] expedition [D] journey
15. My paper was not concise and coherent because of ____ of the ideas related.
[A] connection [B] confusion
[C] chaos [D] disturbance
16. Don't bother him now， for he feels ____ exhausted after a whole day's work.
[A] exclusively [B] absolutely
[C] utterly [D] relatively
17. Many people mistakenly thought that Darwin was saying that the monkey was the ____ of the human race.
[A] predecessor [B] forerunner
[C] succession [D] offspring
18. Don't wear this dress！ Its color is too light and it is ____ like glass.
[A] apparent [B] transparent
[C] vague [D] obvious
19. The shopkeeper thought that business is ____ for him in winter because there are only a bunch of customers each day.
[A] slack [B] dull
[C] proper [D] oppressive
20. As soon as we turned the corner， I saw the road ____ steeply.
[A] descending [B] decreasing
[C] improving [D] declining
21. What I am telling you is strictly ____. Don't let anyone know of it.
[A] secretive [B] special
[C] individual [D] confidential
22. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very ____ about the food he eats.
[A] special [B] peculiar
[C] particular [D] unusual
23. It is not uncommon for advertisers to make ____ claims about the effectiveness of their products.
[A] exaggerated [B] numerous
[C] undirected [D] scientific
24. Indiana University ____ an eight-campus network.
[A] is composed of [B] makes up
[C] constitutes [D] consists
25. In the advanced course students must take objective tests at monthly ____.
[A] length [B] distance
[C] intervals [D] gaps
26. When the child was afraid in the storm， his parents ____ him.
[A] ensured [B] insured
[C] assured [D] reassured
27. After three hours' ____ delay， the train at last arrived.
[A] encouraging [B] spoiling
[C] confronting [D] frustrating
28. If you do any damage to the computer even By any chance， you'll ____ your right to get the fund.
[A] compensate [B] donate
[C] contribute [D] forfeit
29. Many surveys indicate that accidents can be ____ by careful driving and keeping from alcohol.
[A] deviated [B] averted
[C] distracted [D] diverted
30. His argument was so confused that it was hardly ____， so we asked him to reorganize his thought and make another speech.
[A] intelligent [B] intelligible
[C] illegible [D] illegal
Unit 6 1. The ____ cats that are still found in some remote places are distantly related to our friendly domestic companions.
[A] savage [B] wild
[C] cruel [D] untamed
2. There are two ____ mistakes in this sentence. Can you point them out？
[A] arranged [B] planned
[C] deliberate [D] calculated
3. The large crowds lingering in the streets were quickly ____ by the heavy rain.
[A] dispersed [B] removed
[C] disposed [D] disappeared
4. John says that his present job does not provide him with enough ____ for his organizing ability.
[A] range [B] space
[C] capacity [D] scope
5. Although I tried to concentrate on the lecture I was ____ by the noise from the next door.
[A] disturbed [B] interrupted
[C] distracted [D] interfered
6. The soldiers ____ themselves by wearing white garments in the snow.
[A] pretended [B] masked
[C] disguised [D] concealed
7. The burglar ____ the woman in her stomach with a knife and she died soon.
[A] entered [B] perceived
[C] permeated [D] stabbed
8. I didn't make out what the professor means because his handwriting is so ____.
[A] eligible [B] illegible
[C] knowledgeable [D] vague
9. The lieutenant is tall and big and looks very ____ in his new army uniform.
[A] childlike [B] vulnerable
[C] versatile [D] masculine
10. The ____ meaning of “blue” is a color， but it can also mean “unhappy”。
[A] literate [B] literary
[C] literal [D] lingering
11. Recently a number of cases have been reported of young children ____ a violent act previously seen on television.
[A] modifying [B] stimulating
[C] accelerating [D] duplicating
12. Reading ____ the mind only with materials of knowledge； it is thinking that makes what we read ours.
[A] rectifies [B] prolongs
[C] furnishes [D] minimises
13. To write a summary effectively， you will need to ____ words for phrases， phrases for sentences， and general entrances for lists of details.
[A] convert [B] complement
[C] substitute [D] constitute
14. Professor Light asked his secretary to ____ a hundred copies of this article on the duplicating machine.
[A] run over [B] run down
[C] run into [D] run off
15. During the famine of 1943， millions of Chinese peasants ____ to the cities because they could not survive in the rural areas.
[A] migrated [B] emigrated
[C] mobilized [D] immigrated
16. When she discovered the ____ of her bag， she went to the police.
[A] thief [B] assault
[C] theft [D] highjack
17. The girl is ____ with great writing ability， which will make her a good writer in the future.
[A] enchanted [B] bestowed
[C] endowed [D] endeavored
18. All theories ____ from practice and in turn serve practice.
[A] oriented [B] originated
[C] eliminated [D] generated
19. The boss's promise to increase the workers' pay was a ____ to union demands.
[A] confession [B] deduction
[C] concession [D] conference
20. He's ____ on going to Australia for his girlfriend was there waiting for him.
[A] eager [B] anxious
[C] conscientious [D] intent
21. We must ____ that the experiment is controlled as rigidly as possible.
[A] assure [B] secure
[C] ensure [D] issue
22. ____ the English examination I would have gone to the concert last night.
[A] In spite of [B] But for
[C] Because of [D] As for
23. Alone in a deserted house， he was so busy with his research work that he felt ____ lonely.
[A] nothing but [B] anything but
[C] all but [D] everything but
24. The English language contains a（n） ____ of words which are comparatively seldom used in ordinary conversation.
[A] altitude [B] latitude
[C] multitude [D] attitude
25. Hand in a composition every ____ week， please.
[A] some [B] other
[C] others [D] another
26. The government has two ____， to reduce spending or to increase taxes.
[A] orientations [B] options
[C] opinions [D] ornaments
27. A ____ car would cost far more in Europe， but it is fairly cheap in the U.S.
[A] compared [B] comparative
[C] considerable [D] comparable
28. She lost a bag a month ago but finally ____ it in the “lost found”。
[A] reclaimed [B] recycled
[C] retrieved [D] responded
29. It is not a ____ business， so very few people would like to have it as a life career.
[A] profitable [B] rewarding
[C] prohibited [D] approachable
30. Even though the Red Cross had a ____ large sum for the relief of the sufferers of the disaster， many people perished.
[A] alienated [B] alternated
[C] allocated [D] ascertained
Unit 7 1. I ____ from your speech on the phone that you are a foreigner， for your English is so good.
[A] doubt [B] ensure
[C] wonder [D] presume
2. When it rains the ground becomes very ____ and makes it difficult for people to walk on.
[A] messy [B] solid
[C] muddy [D] fragile
3. What a（n） ____ that I was in Paris at the same time as you！ But it is a pity we didn't see each other.
[A] chance [B] coincidence
[C] cooperation [D] incidence
4. The highest ____ of governments has been given to the problem of heavy traffic.
[A] priority [B] privilege
[C] potential [D] premise
5. I can ____ believe that she is lazy at home —— she is very lazy at school.
[A] hastily [B] rashly
[C] readily [D] respectively
6. There is not much ____ that he would succeed， for his plan is not feasible.
[A] likeness [B] likelihood
[C] liker [D] liking
7. Being suppressed under the rule of the colonial government for many years， the people ____ for independence.
[A] thirst [B] thrust
[C] thrive [D] thrill
8. Our football team is ____ with one from the next town for the championship.
[A] confronting [B] contending
[C] converging [D] contriving
9. The liquid ____ when somebody dropped a match in it accidentally.
[A] flashed [B] glowed
[C] glimmered [D] ignited
10. Our problems seem ____ when compared to those of people who never get enough to eat.
[A] petty [B] scant
[C] lean [D] fragile
11. Every weekend when I came back from school， Mother prepared meals ____ enough for a Sahara-bound camel and made me eat them up.
[A] adequate [B] delicious
[C] proficient [D] substantial
12. A third function of intuition is to ____ isolated bits of data and practice into an interesting picture， often in an “Aha！” experience.
[A] synthesize [B] acknowledge
[C] separate [D] illustrate
13. If profit and money are your first ____， and commitment to people your least concern， you have failed education.
[A] potentiality [B] priority
[C] superiority [D] responsibility
14. The TV announcer apologized for the breakdown and said that normal service would be ____ as soon as possible.
[A] reserved [B] recited
[C] resumed [D] reclaimed
15. The ship Titanic had been given the extra name of “unsinkable” because its ____ was the best there was.
[A] manufacture [B] production
[C] erection [D] construction
16. Japan has ____ its steps toward putting into effect an international treaty banning chemical weapons.
[A] hurried [B] bustled
[C] accelerated [D] rushed
17. Developing countries should adopt labour-intensive technologies to ____ their comparative advantage of abundant labour.
[A] use [B] exploit
[C] employ [D] explore
18. The tests show the earlier in life a person hears a sound the longer it is _______.
[A] retained [B] preserved
[C] remained [D] reserved
19. The researchers test college students ____ to foreign speech before their second birthday but not since.
[A] disclosed [B] exposed
[C] exhibited [D] revealed
20. The government has provided the capital library with heavy ____ to keep it one of the largest in the world.
[A] subscriptions [B] tips
[C] subsidies [D] bonuses
21. Birds play a large part in plant reproduction by ____ seeds across large areas.
[A] dispersing [B] disseminating
[C] dispatching [D] dispensing
22. The inscription on the tombstone had been ____ by the weather and could scarcely be read.
[A] worn out [B] worn down
[C] worn off [D] worn away
23. By the end of the day， the flood water which had covered most of the town had ____.
[A] receded [B] retired
[C] replaced [D] retreated
24. I need to move to a larger apartment. Do you know of any ____ ones in this neighborhood？
[A] vacant [B] bare
[C] blank [D] empty
25. He was ____ from the competition because he had not complied with the rules.
[A] banished [B] excused
[C] disqualified [D] forbidden
26. In British history books Richard III is usually ____ as a wicked man.
[A] portrayed [B] drew
[C] explained [D] illuminated
27. The special workshop was ____ over by a famous scientist.
[A] governed [B] administered
[C] presided [D] directed
28. Grandmother has been getting more ____ lately， we have to look after her in turn.
[A] vulnerable [B] tough
[C] limp [D] feeble
29. There was a ____ of only ten centimetres between the two walls.
[A] gulf [B] space
[C] clearance [D] area
30. Although he failed in the maths test， it was wrong to ____ at his efforts.
[A] fake [B] mock
[C] scorn [D] ridicule
Unit 8 1. After a close physical examination， the doctor finally ____ that the man was mad.
[A] certified [B] secured
[C] declared [D] confined
2. This oil is ____ from the seeds of several valuable plants， so it is very nourishing.
[A] restored [B] refined
[C] manufactured [D] extracted
3. When I came into the factory， I saw workers ____ Skillfully the controls of the machines.
[A] manifesting [B] manipulating
[C] managing [D] ministering
4. It gave me a ____ to know I had passed the examination.
[A] thrill [B] thorn
[C] thirst [D] sting
5. Kate's ____ arrived every night to take her out for the evening.
[A] participant [B] escort
[C] colleague [D] delegation
6. The discussion was so prolonged and exhausting that ____ the speakers stopped for refreshments.
[A] at large [B] at intervals
[C] at ease [D] at random
7. When travelling， you are advised to take travellers， checks， which provide a secure ____ to carrying your money in cash.
[A] substitute [B] selection
[C] preference [D] alternative
8. I never trusted him because I always thought of him as such a ____ character.
[A] gracious [B] suspicious
[C] unique [D] particular
9. Changing from solid to liquid， water takes in heat from all substances near it， and this ____ produces artificial cold surrounding it.
[A] absorption [B] transition
[C] consumption [D] interaction
10. I didn't say anything like that at all. You are purposely ____ my ideas to prove your point.
[A] revising [B] contradicting
[C] distorting [D] distracting
11. They failed in their attempt to promote this new product for the ____ of the plan.
[A] efficiency [B] deficiency
[C] lack [D] defiance
12. Don't worry about him. He is ____ enough not to make such a silly mistake.
[A] passionate [B] shrewd
[C] proficient [D] initiative
13. The young doctor ____ the difficult operation of kidney transplant.
[A] reflected [B] conspired
[C] represented [D] contemplated
14. The fat woman felt embarrassed when the chair gave a ____ when she sat down on it.
[A] moan [B] wail
[c] howl [D] groan
15. When I asked her about her examination result， she just ____， saying that she didn't know and didn't care.
[A] waved [B] nodded
[C] shook [D] shrugged
16. His ____ were forgiven by the employer， who was a generous and lenient person.
[A] defenses [B] annoyance
[C] offences [D] jealousy
17. The small countries joined together into a ____.
[A] coalition [B] corporation
[C] federation [D] company
18. The doctor in the hospital wore a ____ over his ordinary clothes.
[A] garment [B] dress
[C] cloth [D] gown
19. The newly published review on the book has ____ much controversy.
[A] entailed [B] extracted
[C] evoked [D] prompted
20. The sick child ____ a little， and then fell asleep.
[A] complained [B] groped
[C] moaned [D] murmured
21. ____ gradually caused the sliding box to slow down and stop.
[A] Fraction [B] Fracture
[C] Conflict [D] Friction
22. We should made laws to curb the ____ of our forests， which is a very bad conduct to harm our environment.
[A] rap [B] rape
[C] smuggle [D] rash
23. Wearing plain clothes， the king____ with the people in the streets.
[A] wove [B] associated
[C] mingled [D] fused
24. We hope to ____ new life into our business， our working atmosphere is so dull these days.
[A] project [B] inject
[C] incorporate [D] insert
25. We are conducting a ____ to find out how many people are in favor of nuclear power.
[A] poll [B] test
[C] quiz [D] experiment
26. A man who doesn't like to talk about himself or to make his feelings known to others is called a ____ man.
[A] reserved [B] tolerant
[C] conservative [D] preserved
27. He reads so ____ that he knows almost everything about various fields of learning.
[A] extensively [B] intensively
[C] closely [D] exclusively
28. When a fire broke out in the gallery， at least twenty ____ paintings were destroyed， including two by Picasso.
[A] worthless [B] priceless
[C] valueless [D] inexpensive
29. It ____ me that there might be some fault on my part.
[A] struck [B] flashed
[C] occurred [D] happened
30. I never see this picture without ____ my early days in the countryside.
[A] reminding of [B] being reminded of
[C] reminding to [D] having been reminded
Unit 9 1. I was in the ____ of washing when she came to visit me and brought me a couple of books.
[A] amid [B] center
[C] course [D] midst
2. The ____ death of the revolutionary， at his twenties， is a great loss to our party.
[A] premature [B] forthcoming
[C] advanced [D] hasty
3. He took the ____ by asking the first question to the visiting scholar at his lecture.
[A] injection [B] rejection
[C] orientation [D] initiative
4. She's very ____ ——she spends all her money on clothes.
[A] generous [B] extravagant
[C] extreme [D] unreasonable
5. A ____ of interest in the matter came into her eyes but soon extinguished.
[A] glitter [B] drizzle
[C] dazzle [D] gleam
6. These who can ____ difficulties on their way to success may keep calm when they really appear.
[A] anticipate [B] expect
[C] promise [D] foresee
7. The constant ____ between the young couple finally caused divorce.
[A] conflict [B] collapse
[C] resistance [D] friction
8. We have several difficulties in foreign trade transactions. Now the excess of imports over exports became another ____.
[A] compliment [B] intricacy
[C] complication [D] compensation
9. Mohammed is the ____ of the Muslims， who established his teachings， which formed the basis for Koran.
[A] infant [B] genius
[C] puppet [D] prophet
10. With no pictures at hand， the police artist made a ____ picture of the murderer.
[A] composite [B] sophisticated
[C] competitive [D] mechanical
11. What causes emotional problems for children of divorce is generally the events that ____ the break up.
[A] prevailed [B] presided
[C] proceeded [D] preceded
12. Found in all parts of the country， pines are the most ____ trees in this country.
[A] ordinary [B] average
[C] usual [D] common
13. Swarms of ants are always invading my kitchen. They are a thorough ____.
[A] nuisance [B] disturbance
[C] trouble [D] annoyance
14. The head office of the company has been ____ from HongKong to New York for the sake of business expansion.
[A] transported [B] transplanted
[C] transferred [D] transmitted
15. You should make certain that everyone understands what is required and how to ____ the procedures.
[A] impose [B] implement
[C] reinforce [D] rectify
16. ____ circumstances compelled him to close his business. Now he had to find other ways for a living.
[A] Opposite [B] Adverse
[C] Opposed [D] Favorable
17. He works as a ____ for this community， delivering letters and newspapers everyday.
[A] messenger [B] passerby
[C] preacher [D] burglar
18. Our new director is much younger than his ____， who is already 50 years old.
[A] successor [B] precedent
[C] predecessor [D] offspring
19. She is so ____ ——she won't let anyone help her when she is in such a dilemma.
[A] willful [B] abnormal
[C] obstinate [D] ardent
20， The woman is in a sorry ____， unemployed and with no one to support her.
[A] surrounding [B] environment
[C] plight [D] embarrassment
21.They work long hours but do not earn enough to ensure a ____ living for themselves and their families.
[A] reticent [B] decent
[C] innocent [D] descent
22. There are few areas of our lives in which tools do not play an ____ part.
[A] indispensable [B] independent
[C] indistinguishable [D] indiscriminate
23. Britain's Channel Four television sent him to New York to do a ____ interview for its “The Word” programme.
[A] lively [B] live
[C] living [D] alive
24. In one of the most high-tech countries in the world， the process applied by an animator is surprisingly ____.
[A] physical [B] manual
[C] mental [D] sensual
25. It might be ____ noting that while words last a long time， sensitivities do change.
[A] deserved [B] worthwhile
[C] worth [D] worthy
26. My shoes have been worn out. I'll have to buy____.
[A] some new pair [B] a new one
[C] some new ones [D] a new pair
27. If ____ letter arrives for me， can you send it to this address？
[A] no [B] some
[C] any [D] some more
28. Taxes and death may come to____， but they never come with impartiality.
[A] all men [B] all of man
[C] all men [D] all of men
29. Miss Green contributed fifty dollars， but she wished she could contribute____.
[A] one other fifty dollars [B] the same amount also
[C] more fifty dollars [D] another fifty
30. Our monitor is always ready to do good to____.
[A] the other [B] the others
[C] other [D] others
Unit 10 1. When any non-human organ is transplanted into a person， th