1. SARS epidemic which hit most of China this Spring and Summer attracted attention from the whole world. Chinese people, under the strong leadership of the new government, achieved great success in the anti-SARS war.
2. On October 15, Shenzhou-5 spacecraft was successfully launched and returned to ground safely on the next day, making China the third nation in the world to send a man into space. Lieutenant Colonel Yang Liwei became the first Chinese astronaut in the outer space.
3. In March of this year, China held the First Session of the 10th National People's Congress and elected new government leaders including President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao. New CPPCC leaders were also elected at the First Session of the 10th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) held in March.
4. On October 11-14, China held the Third Plenary Session of the 16th CPC Central Committee. The plenum deliberated and approved a decision of the CPC Central Committee on issues regarding the improvement of the socialist market economic system, outlining the economic reform tasks for China in the new century.
5. During the later half year of 2003, Chen Shui-bian of Taiwan repeatedly proposed staging a so-called "defensive referendum" to split Taiwan from China, which has aroused strong opposition and condemnation from Chinese government and its people.
6. The Three Gorges reservoir officially began to store water as the sluice gate started to close at 00:00 on June 1. On July 10, the first power generator of the project, the largest of its kind in the world, was connected to the power grid to begin generating electricity. The Three Gorges Project will play an important role in China's economic construction as well as power generation and environmental protection.
7. On June 9, twelve people were sentenced to death or imprisonment by the Guangzhou Intermediate People's Court for their roles in the beating to death of a young man. The 27-year-old victim, Sun Zhigang, from Wuhan City of Hubei Province, was beaten do death on March 19 in a police clinic after being taken into custody for failing to carry his temporary residence permit. On June 27, local higher court upheld the original decision despite the appeal of the twelve. Sun Zhigang's case also led to the abolishment of the 21-year-long national administrative rules related to city vagrants.
8. A fatal toxic gas leakage from abandoned Japanese chemical weapons killed one person and injured 42 others after barrels of mustard gas were dug up at a construction site in Qiqihar in early August.
9. Since this year, a batch of corrupted officials of provincial and ministerial levels has been sentenced or disciplined, including Li Jiating, Liu Fangren and Cheng Weigao, showing the Party's determination to fight corruption.
10. Seventy Chinese Navy sailors aboard a conventionally powered Navy submarine were killed in an accident in the water area east of Neichangshan, East China's Shandong Province, in March. The accident had caught the attention of the whole People's Liberation Army and all the people.