362. The Competition of International Scouts began in 1994.
363. It is held once a year.
364. It is one of the important contests for the scouts in the world.
365. Each country can only send two teams to participate in the event.
366. There are four members in a team.
367. Since 1998, the PLA has participated in the competition.
368. So have the U.S. and the U.K.
369. Our results have been much better than theirs.
370. The purposes of this competition are:
371. To determine who are the best all-round scouts;
372. To improve physical fitness and military skill-at-arms;
373. To provide an opportunity in planning, organizing and conducting a major international military sports event;
374. To promote international military cooperation and fellowship.
375. Maps, tactical symbols, radio voice-procedure, etc are based on NATO Standard.
376. The official languages of the competition are Estonian and English.
377. The competition is basically a team long-range reconnaissance exercise behind "enemy lines".
378. The distance to be covered is about 85km, as the crow flies.
379. Every team is free to choose its own route from control point to check point.
380. Some teams may cover twice the distance due to their route and navigation errors.
381. In the past, some teams decided to quit after only 40km.
Words and Expressions单词和短语
competition n. 竞赛
international a. 国际性的
scout n. 侦察兵
contest n. 比赛，竞赛
participate vt. 参加
cooperation n. 合作
Estonian n. 爱莎尼亚语
as the crow flies 沿直线，不绕道