294. Gathering and safeguarding intelligence are vital to security.
295. The missions of the Military Intelligence Battalion in the U.S. Army have renewed significance.
296. Most of the unit's soldiers are tactical counterintelligence agents.
297. Company E is a critical component of the battalion.
298. It is called the airborne, long-range reconnaissance company.
299. Its soldiers are dropped into a designated area ahead of ground troops.
300. It can infiltrate as much as 100 kilometers into enemy territory at night.
301. It can conduct reconnaissance and surveillance while remaining undetected.
302. The special forces have a variety of missions.
303. The soldiers of this battalion do recon and surveillance only.
304. That's the difference between them.
305. The soldiers in the unit carry 85-100-pound rucksacks.
306. Their gear includes satellite communication systems, high-frequency radio, long-range optical equipment.
307. They also have GPS units, video cameras and a basic load of ammunition, including grenades.
308. A company is composed of 18 six-member teams.
309. They are "the eyes and ears" of the higher commanders.
310. In Kosovo, they were inserted by helicopters in the borders of two countries.
311. They sent 12 to 15 teams through Albania into Kosovo with the 1st Infantry Division.
312. Six-men teams trekked through the woods, respectively for 72 to 96 hours.
313. If everything went according to plan, helicopters returned to extract the teams.
314. A mission begins with a warning order.
315. It is followed about 12 hours later by an operations order.
316. Teams will spend about 62 hours doing detailed planning.
317. After 62 hours, they get the OK to move out.
318. In Kosovo, they boarded Black Hawks late at night for the insertion.
319. A lot of guys are 18 or 19 years old.
320. They have to know how to operate their weapons and equipment.
321. They are able to identify enemy weapons and equipment.
322. They have an understanding of enemy orders of battle.
323. LRS teams penetrate enemy lines to help provide commanders with reliable information.
324. That can alter the course of battle.
325. And that will mean the difference between success and failure.
Words and Expressions单词和短语
reconnaissance n. 侦察
surveillance n. 监视
battalion n. 营
optical a. 光学的，可视的
grenade n. 手榴弹
ammunition n. 弹药，军火
helicopter n. 直升飞机
insertion n. 插入
identify vt. 辨别
penetrate vt. 深入
alter vt. 改变