1971年设立国际油污损害赔偿基金国际公约的1976年议定书 PROTOCOL OF 1976 TO THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON THE ESTABLISH-MENT OF AN INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR COMPENSATION FOR OIL POLLUTION DAMAGE，1971
THE PARTIES TO THE PRESENT PROTOCOL，
HAVING CONSIDERED the International Convention on the Establishment ofan International Fund for Compensation for Oil Pollution Damage， done atBrussels on December 18， 1971，
HAVE AGREED as follows：Article I
For the purpose of the present Protocol：
1. “Convention” means the International Convention on theEstablishment of an International Fund for Compensation for Oil PollutionDamage， 1971.
2. “Liability Convention” has the same meaning as in the Convention.
3. “Organization” has the same meaning as in the Convention.
4. “Secretary-General” means the Secretary-General of theOrganization.Article II
Article 1， paragraph 4 of the Convention is replaced by the followingtext：
“Unit of Account” or “Monetary Unit” means the unit of account ormonetary unit as the case may be， referred to in Article V of theLiability Convention， as amended by the Protocol thereto adopted onNovember 19， 1976.Article III
The amounts referred to in the Convention shall wherever they appearbe amended as follows：
（a） Article 4：
（i） “450 million francs” is replaced by “30 million units ofaccount or 450 million monetary units”；
（ii） “900 million francs” is replaced by “60 million units ofaccount or 900 million monetary units”。
（b） In Article 5：
（i） “1，500 francs” is replaced by “100 units of account or1，500 million monetary units”；
（ii） “125 million francs” is replaced by “8，333，000 units ofaccount or 125 million monetary units”；
（iii） “2，000 francs” is replaced by “133 units of account or2，000 monetary units”；
（iv） “210 million francs” is replaced by “14 million units ofaccount or 210 million monetary units”。
（c） In Article 11， “75 million francs” is replaced by “5 millionunits of account or 75 million monetary units”。
（d） In Article 12， “15 million francs” is replaced by “1 millionunits of account or 15 million monetary units”。Article IV
1. The present Protocol shall be open for signature by any State whichhas signed the Convention or acceded thereto and by any State invited toattend the Conference to Revise the Unit of Account Provisions in theInternational Convention on the Establishment of an International Fund forCompensation for Oil Pollution Damage， 1971， held in London from November17 to 19， 1976. The Protocol shall be open for signature from February 1，1977 to December 31， 1977 at the Headquarters of the Organization.
2. Subject to paragraph 4 of this Article， the present Protocol shallbe subject to ratification， acceptance or approval by the States whichhave signed it.
3. Subject to paragraph 4 of this Article， this Protocol shall be openfor accession by States which did not sign it.
4. The present Protocol may be ratified， accepted， approved or accededto by States Parties to the Convention.Article V
1. Ratification， acceptance， approval or accession shall be effectedby the deposit of a formal instrument to that effect with theSecretary-General.
2. Any instrument of ratification， acceptance， approval or accessiondeposited after the entry into force of an amendment to the presentProtocol with respect to all existing Parties or after the completion ofall measures required for the entry into force of the amendment withrespect to all existing Parties shall be deemed to apply to the Protocolas modified by the amendment.Article VI
1. The present Protocol shall enter into force for the States whichhave ratified， accepted， approved or acceded to it on the ninetieth dayfollowing the date on which the following requirements are fulfilled；
（a） at least eight States have deposited instruments ofratification， acceptance， approval or accession with theSecretary-General， and
（b） the Secretary-General has received information in accordancewith Article 39 of the Convention that those persons in such States whowould be liable to contribute pursuant to Article 10 of the Conventionhave received during the preceding calendar year a total quantity of atleast 750 million tons of contributing oil.
2. However， the present Protocol shall not enter into force before theConvention has entered into force.
3. For each State which subsequently ratifies， accepts， approves oraccedes to it， the present Protocol shall enter into force on theninetieth day after deposit by such State of the appropriate instrument.Article VII
1. The present Protocol may be denounced by any Party at any timeafter the date on which the Protocol enters into force for that Party.
2. Denunciation shall be effected by the deposit of an instrument withthe Secretary-General.
3. Denunciation shall take effect one year， or such longer period asmay by specified in the instrument of denunciation， after its deposit withthe Secretary-General.Article VIII
1. A conference for the purpose of revising or amending the presentProtocol may be convened by the Organization.
2. The Organization shall convene a Conference of Parties to thepresent Protocol for the purpose of revising or amending it at the requestof not less than one-third of the Parties.Article IX
1. The present Protocol shall be deposited with the Secretary-General.
2. The Secretary-General shall：
（a） inform all States which have signed the present Protocol oracceded thereto of：
（i） each new signature or deposit of an instrument togetherwith the date thereof；
（ii） the date of entry into force of the present Protocol；
（iii） the deposit of any instrument of denunciation of thepresent Protocol together with the date on which the denunciation takeseffect；
（iv） any amendments to the present Protocol；
（b） transmit certified true copies of the present Protocol to allStates which have signed the present Protocol or acceded thereto.Article X
As soon as this Protocol enters into force， a certified true copythereof shall be transmitted by the Secretary-General to the Secretariatof the United Nations for registration and publication in accordance withArticle 102 of the Charter of the United Nations.Article XI
The present Protocol is established in a single original in theEnglish and French languages， both texts being equally authentic.Official translation in the Russian and Spanish languages shall beprepared by the Secretariat of the Organization and deposited with thesigned original.
DONE AT LONDON this nineteenth day of November one thousand ninehundred and seventy-six.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned being duly authorized for thatpurpose have signed the present Protocol.
The Conference to revise the unit of account provisions in the 1971International Convention on the Establishment of an International Fund forCompensation for Oil Pollution，
Considering that a decline in the value of money may affect， to aserious extent， the amounts established in the Convention，
Recommends that the Participating Governments consider the problemwith a view to establishing a specific and efficient procedure for theexpeditious revision of such amounts in order to maintain their realvalue.