1. It was to New York he went in the hope of finding work on one of the New York newspapers.
A. which B. where C. as D. that
2. before， his first performance for the amateur dramatic group was a success.
A. Though having never acted B. As he had never acted
C. Despite he had never acted D. In spite of his never having acted
3. By the middle of the 21st century， the vast majority of the world's population in cities rather than in the country.
A. are living B. will be living C. have lived D. will have lived
4. Mr. Milton prefers to resign part in such dishonest business deals.
A. than take B. than to take
C. rather than take D. rather than to take
5. No one would have time to read or listen to an account of everything going on in the world.
A. it is B. as is C. that is D. what is
6. There is a real possibility that these animals could be frightened， a sudden loud noise.
A. being there B. should there be
C. there was D. there have been
7. Bit by bit， a child makes the necessary changes to make his language
A. as other people B. as other people's
C. like other people D. like other people's
8. Clothing made of plastic fibres has certain advantages over made of natural fibres like cotton， wool， or silk.
A. one B. the one C. that D. what
9. The treasury issued an order stating that land purchased from the government had to be paid for in gold and silver.
A. henceforth B. moreover C. whereby D. however
10. In some countries， is called equality does not really mean equal rights for all people.
A. which B. one C. that D. what
11. The message is clear： Just as tea and banana cannot go together， should the son of a low class family expect to marry the daughter of a nobleman.
A. either B. not C. neither D. nor
12. After the Arab States won independence， great emphasis was laid on expanding education， with girls as well as boys to go to school.
A. to be encouraged B. been encouraged C. being encouraged D. be encouraged
13. ， a man who expresses himself effectively is sure to succeed more rapidly than a man whose command of language is poor.
A. Other things being equal B. To be equal to other things
C. Were other things equal D. Other things to be equal
14. The project， by the end of 200S，will expand the city's telephone network to cover 1，000，000 users.
A. accomplished B. being accomplished
C. to be accomplished D. having been accomplished
15. ghost exists in the world. That's your illusion.
A. No such a thing as B. No such a thing as a
C. No such thing as a D. No such thing as