外语教育网
您的位置:外语教育网 > 英语文化视窗 > 文学与艺术 > 散文 正文
  • 站内搜索:

告诉他你爱他

2008-08-28 09:58

  In a class I teach for adults, I recently did the “unpardonable1.”

  最近在我执教的一个成人班级里,我干了一件“不可饶恕的”事情。

  I gave the class homework!

  我居然给班上的学生布置了一份家庭作业!

  The assignment was to “go to someone you love within the next week and tell them you love them.

  任务是“下周之内要走到你所爱的人面前,告诉他们你爱他。

  It has to be someone you have never said those words to before

  此人必须是一位此前你从未对之说过此话的对象,

  or at least haven''t shared those words with for a long time.“

  或至少很久没有与他们交流过这些爱意盎然的话语了。“

  Now that doesn t sound like a very tough assignment, until you stop to realize that most of the men were over 35

  听起来这不像是一份苛刻的任务,直到你意识到这个班里多数男生已年逾35岁。

  and were raised in the generation of men that were taught that expressing emotions is not “macho.”

  何况在他们成长的那个年代,他们受到的是这样的灌输:流露情感没有“阳刚之气”。

  Showing feelings or crying (heaven forbid!) was just not done.

  人们不会轻易流露情感和哭泣(老天也不允!)。

  So this was a very threatening assignment for some.

  因此对某些人来说,这是一项令人生畏的任务。

  At the beginning of our next class,

  第二次上课一开始,

  I asked if someone wanted to share what happened when they told someone they loved them.

  我就问:当你告诉别人你爱他/她时,结果怎样?有没有人愿意讲一讲?

  I fully expected one of the women to volunteer6, as was usually the case,

  我满心指望像平常一样,某位女士能自告奋勇,

  but on this evening one of the men raised his hand.

  但是这天晚上,一位男士举起了手。

  He appeared quite moved and a bit shaken.

  他看上去很受感动的样子,还有一点颤抖。

  As he unfolded out of his chair(all 6 2" of him),

  当他从座椅上直起身来时(他身高6英尺2英寸),

  he began by saying, Dennis, I was quite angry with you last week when you gave us this assignment.

  他这样说道:“丹尼斯,上周你给我们布置任务时,我很生你的气。

  I didn`t feel that I had anyone to say those words to, and besides,

  我认为我没有什么人需要我说那些话,而且,

  who were you to tell me to do something that personal8?

  你是谁?凭什么让我们去干这种涉及隐私的事?

  “But as I began driving home my conscience started talking to me.

  “但我驱车回家时,我的良知开始与我对话。

  It was telling me that I knew exactly who I needed to say I love you to.

  它告诉我,我确实知道需要向谁说'我爱你'这句话。

  You see, five years ago, my father and I had a vicious disagreement and really never resolved it since that time.

  “你瞧,5年前,我与父亲发生了激烈的争执,而且从此再也没有消除隔阂。

  We avoided seeing each other unless we absolutely had to at Christmas or other family gatherings.

  我们互相回避,除非绝对必须出席圣诞节聚会或其他的家庭聚会。

  But even then, we hardly spoke to each other.

  但甚至在那些场合,我们彼此几乎也不说一句话。

  “So last Tuesday by the time I got home I had convinced myself I was going to tell my father I loved him.

  “因此,上周二到家时,我确信自己做得不对,打算告诉父亲我爱他。

相关热词:散文 文化
栏目相关课程表
科目名称 主讲老师 课时 免费试听 优惠价 购买课程
英语零起点 郭俊霞 30课时 试听 150元/门 购买
综艺乐园 ------ 13课时 试听 100元/门 购买
边玩边学 ------ 10课时 试听 60元/门 购买
情景喜剧 ------ 15课时 试听 100元/门 购买
欢乐课堂 ------ 35课时 试听 150元/门 购买
基础英语辅导课程
郭俊霞 北京语言大学毕业,国内某知名中学英语教研组长,教学标兵……详情>>
郭俊霞:零基础英语网上辅导名师

  1、凡本网注明 “来源:外语教育网”的所有作品,版权均属外语教育网所有,未经本网授权不得转载、链接、转贴或以其他方式使用;已经本网授权的,应在授权范围内使用,且必须注明“来源:外语教育网”。违反上述声明者,本网将追究其法律责任。
  2、本网部分资料为网上搜集转载,均尽力标明作者和出处。对于本网刊载作品涉及版权等问题的,请作者与本网站联系,本网站核实确认后会尽快予以处理。本网转载之作品,并不意味着认同该作品的观点或真实性。如其他媒体、网站或个人转载使用,请与著作权人联系,并自负法律责任。
  3、联系方式
  编辑信箱:for68@chinaacc.com
  电话:010-82319999-2371